Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What's up Y'all,

I currently have a BMW 328i that is killing me. I won't bore you will all my ridiculously expensive wows. But it is highly likely we (my wife and I) will sell the bimmer. We are seriously considering a new or late model Legacy. Winter is no joke here and the AWD is attractive, along with other things.

My questions are: what are some of the things I should be aware of in considering getting a Subie? What are some of the common problems? What are the advantages?

I know I'm asking a lot, but what do you, the expert owner's think? (I wish I would have done this before buying the BMW). TIA

Welcome TMoney. You are obviously a very intelligent person (you're here!)

What do we, the "expert owners," think? By and large I'd say we think Subaru builds fine vehicles but hey, we're prejudiced! I've driven them for 25 years and absolutely love the technology.

That said, there are some model years I wouldn't touch--the early 2.5L engines had real head gasket issues. However I understand the problems have been solved in recent years. My experience only goes up to '95 and the wonderful "bulletproof" EJ22.

But overall they are excellent cars with many good features--AWD, flat-4 engine that is relatively easy to work on, parts that are reasonably priced.

In short I think you're making a wise choice to consider a Subaru.

the early Legacy's are awesome cars! (1990-1996) the EJ22 (2.2 liter) for those years are non-interference engines - meaning if you throw a timing belt there is NO internal damage. 1997 and on are interference engines that can and do cause major problems if they lose a timing belt so keeping up with those is of the utmost importance.

as already mentioned, the early EJ25's (2.5 liter) had head gasket issues - if you find one with records showing the headgasket fix, then it "should" be ok, just be aware of it.

if you want to go "old school" the EA series are pretty good as well (also non-interference), they come in several sizes over a wide range of years.

when looking for a "used" Subaru - most are sold due to lack of maintenance and something breaking (usually timing belts! LOL) in my humble experience, most sold on used car lots are seriously overpriced - buying from a private party - after a thorough inspection - is the way to go.

Got my first one - a 1989 GL Wagon, FWD, 5 spd - got 33-34 mpg - for $150 - it did need a little work to be roadworthy - clutch, axles, tires, etc, but I drove that car for almost 8 years before the cancer (rust) took her to her grave - engine was still going strong at 265,000 miles - probably could have gone another 100k on it easy.

I now drive a 1990 Legacy, AWD, auto w/195K on the odo - purchased for $200, needed new struts & exhaust work - LOVE it! it has had it's share of minor issues due to lack of maintenance by previous owner, but nothing that I couldnt handle - most recently: an O2 sensor...

In general - it is pretty rare to find a true "lemon" Subaru - most just need a little TLC to be great cars.

I heard the same thing. If you buy a 97+ Outback 2.5 with over 100K or so, make sure you get records that the head gaskets have been done. Usually when this is repaired, all the other goodies come with it (new timing belt, seals, etc.).

We found a '97 Outback with 150K that just recovered from blown head gaskets. It had new belts, tensioners, seals, radiator and a ton of other parts. The car is nearly mint, ice cold air, everything works like new, and you could eat off the motor ($3000 OTD) ...WHAT A DEAL!! - right?? .....WRONG!!!

3 weeks after we signed the title, we noticed a little tap. 2 weeks later, the tap turned into a major knock. Long story short, we have a totally tuned up, beautiful EJ25 in a "new" car that has a rod knock and is junk. The previous owner must have run it so hot that the internals took a beating and it just now came apparent. We've had the car for just over a month now and I'm putting a new motor in it (swapping for an EJ22). The car is on jack stands in the garage at this very moment with the donor motor sitting in front of it.

Edited by tricked919

I picked up on "New or late model" Legacy requirements. The only option is to get a 2010 Legacy. The style change is well worth it (bigger and more comfortable) and if you are looking for economy, the CVT option is a must.

I have tried to own a couple German cars over the years and they are high maintenance but really fun when everything works. Subarus are low maintenance but take some work or options to be really fun.

Hey newbie. Welcome to the one site that really is user friendly. I've been on other sites and the regulars here treat everyone with respect and actually try to answer one's issues.

We have owned several makes of vehicles and somehow end up with a Subaru in the drive somewhere along the line. The cars just plain make sense. Pay attention to the particular issues with the specific model years and you won't be caught off guard by any problems that may come up.

Mt first was an '89 Loyale wagon that I resurrected after one of my brothers in law drove it off into a corn field in a less than sober condition. $350 in front end parts later, I had a good reliable car for several years I sold it at auction in 2000 for several hundred dollars still running and inspected, though it had turned into quite the rust bucket.

Now, I have a '99 Legacy Outback Limited wagon which I bought with 68,000 miles on it for $4200 last year when my Jeep engine went south with 235,000. We had some of the worst snow ever here over the winter and the OBW got me to work and back every day on time without missing a beat.

I know about Beemers and how expensive they are to own. There is a BMW dealership right across from where I work and the service department is always busy. I see plenty of them coming in on flatbeds. In the end, defecting to Subaru is a decision that you will not regret.