Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi,

So this may be a dumb question, but I'm trying to figure out how to cross-reference accessory parts across model years. My 1995 Legacy wagon is missing the AC belt tensioner bracket and idler. I thought that most of the accessory parts were the same from 90-95 anyway, but I just drove out 40 minutes to a junkyard and found that a bracket from a 1991 didn't fit. I can't find a 1995 in any of the yards near me. Any idea how to check when that part changed?

Thanks!

--Derek

Hi,

So this may be a dumb question, but I'm trying to figure out how to cross-reference accessory parts across model years. My 1995 Legacy wagon is missing the AC belt tensioner bracket and idler. I thought that most of the accessory parts were the same from 90-95 anyway, but I just drove out 40 minutes to a junkyard and found that a bracket from a 1991 didn't fit. I can't find a 1995 in any of the yards near me. Any idea how to check when that part changed?

Thanks!

--Derek

I had the reverse problem several years back. I had a 91, and found that later years had a different bracket, prolly like yours, that I bought, and wouldn't fit my car. It is only a guess to say that Subaru 90-92 were much the same. To be on the safe side, prolly a Leggie in the 94-99 will have the bracket you need.

It changed in '95. They did a major cost-cutting of the Legacy models in that year. The plastic tensioner nut on the '95 and up AC tensioners always breaks - it's a $6 part. But since you need the whole assemmbly, you need one from a '95 or newer. Just about anything you will find in a u-pull-it style yard that's 95 and up should have what you need. Don't shy away from one even if the nut is broken - as I said it's a $6 part and most dealers will stock them since they frequently break.

GD