Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ25D internals and maybe EJ257

subarutimmm

hello USMB

:banana:

welll I have a 99 OBW with a EJ25D Phase 1.

I ended up spinning a bearing but i havent taken the motor apart yet :-\

But im into tuning engines i have helped my buddy with his talon but now i want my project seeing how i love subaru(but i work for toyota):mad:

but.....

I have search day in and day out on all subaru site and cant find my answer

But my question is this i have my EJ25d phase 1 i want to replace with eagle connecting rods and CP pistons and maybe a crank i havent seen if theres scoring but not sure yet. I want to use everythign from a 04 sti 79mm stroke with sti upgraded internals the ones ilisted above. this will drop my CR to ~8.5:1 and allow me to turbo the ej25D

But if that will work cant see why not ? but will a sti or wrx turbo water pump fit the ej25d block ? and i know ill need the t-stat housing because of the exhaust manifold and ill need to notch the subframe im not worried about that.

but in short

i want to know

will a ej25D run with ej257 internals if both the stroke and bore are the same

will a sti or wrx water pump bolt to a ej25D block ?

and if the water pump does fix should i run a stock sti cross over pipe? or just run my turbo cooling lines from waterpump in just high pressure lines?

im not afraid of doing work... ************ i wanna fit it into a 94 or 96 impreza lmao:banana::lol:

but thanks for all your help guys

There will be some machining involved to use a phase 2 crank in the phase 1 bock (thrust bearing is moved from #3 to #5).

But why replace the crank? if you're assuming the block is usable, than you're assuming the crank is too.

What kind of horsepower are you looking at making? You're talking about a pretty peculiar build. spend the money on CP pistons, but then cheap out and use Eagle rods and a 25D block. IMHO, if you're only shooting for 200-250, use wisecos. if you're looking for more than that, put your CPs in a full 257 shortblock.

water pump is interchangeable as far as the block is concerned.

coolant bridge is also interchangeable, and independent of the water pump

If just a bearing failed, the crank is junk but the rest of the block can be re-used (after a good cleaning). Some 52 mm journal EJ25 Phase II cranks can be used on Phase I blocks, as the early versions of those cams (I believe up to 2005) also have the machining for the #3 thrust bearing. If you want to keep your stock pistons you can use an STI EJ257 crank but you will have to use SOHC rods as the STI rods are 1 mm shorter.

TO Numbchux:

im not sure what power im looking to produce.

and as for as why i put eagle conneting rods was becs i was tired and i couldnt remember wisecos name. which is a piss poor excuse but is true

TO LeoneTurbo

is the crank is junk and i have to machine the 5th thrust bearing and buy a new crank which i priced out on extremepsi.com and for a 79mm stroke its ~1041? but you said something about a 52mm stroke. should i drop 20mm to lower the CR or will wiscos rods lower my CR to ~8.5:1 but back to the crank if i have to buy one for 1040 i can get a ej257 short block with crank rods and breaking for ~1800? should i just get a ej257 short block and if so will a EJ25D phase 1 heads work ? and what about the harness i know its on hte intake manifold but as will i hace anny issues ?

thanks for all your help this is BY FAR the best board :grin:

you need to nail down your power goals if you're even slightly serious about this. This is ALWAYS step one in an automotive build.

eagle and wiseco are similar quality, which is better than stock, but only just.

External dimensions of EJ-series shortblocks are near enough to identical. as a rule (there are some exceptions, but not many), the intake manifold has to match the heads.

So yes, you definitely could take a 257 shortblock, and throw it in place of your 25D block. bolt on the heads, intake, etc. also the 25D heads flow very well, and the passenger side one has pretty obvious places in the casting that can be drilled/tapped for your oil lines relatively easily.

The build you're talking about is possible, and has been done. but I wouldn't call it reliable (beyond about 10k miles) at more than 250hp. a stock 257 block can take much more than that.

and you're probably talking about similar cost. when you consider the parts and labor for this hybrid build v. buying a complete and stock 257 block, but of course there are a lot of cost variables depending on your parts sources.

Edited by Numbchux

i really dont have a power goal maybe 250-300hp

But are you saying that a ej25d with sti internals wont last long or are you talking about he 257block?

and whats your option on what are good rods ?

but so far i think about a 257 short block reuse the crank upgrade bearing rods and pistons and use my 25d head upgradeing the valves may be a set of cams? OE water pump not sure if OE oil pump will flow enough or will a 25d oil pump work? then notch the subframe sti headers with an unsure of turbo yet ? but i want to use the 25d heads will fit the 25d harness no ? or will a 25d harness not work on a 257 block ?

but will the 257 crank work for my plans ?

and i do know im just a dumb rump roast that should just shot up and buy a complete 257 but theres something about firing up a motor you built yourself idk call me stupid but i love it :banana:

Edited by subarutimmm
i forgot to add something

The 25D block wasn't designed for that kind of power or hanging on to head gaskets at those power levels. The 257 is a semi-closed deck block and as such is much more rigid.

At least that's my understanding. I wouldn't bother with using a 25D block - that's just a waste of time and effort.

GD

The 25D block wasn't designed for that kind of power or hanging on to head gaskets at those power levels. The 257 is a semi-closed deck block and as such is much more rigid.

At least that's my understanding. I wouldn't bother with using a 25D block - that's just a waste of time and effort.

GD

yaeah i knew it was an open deck and the 257 is semi closed

but i have intentions to go with a 257 oe crank or some other one ? because its 1800 for a full short block 1000 for a empty 257 and about 1000 for a upgrade sti(257) crank but i have droppeed the EJ25D bock:slobber:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...