Ultimate Subaru Message Board

There is and oil pump Oring. Usually Blue (not jsut regular rubber).

There is no oil pump gasket it's just ultra-grey. Unless you look it up in lets say a Fel-Pro book who's primary purpose is to sell gaskets.

Others should chime in to confirm/deny. I don't work much on 2.5 SOHC's.

just my limited opinion, that looks like a lot of sealant. i would spread it with my finger and remove any excess.

i just did this on a 95 ej22 to swap into a 97 outback. the last guy to work on it used WAY too much sealant. there was a bead of excess equal to what is shown in the pic above on both the inside and the outside of the oil pump. some of which was pumped through the engine oil passages.

as a result the passenger side cam seized and broke.

question: what is the chance that another part of the engine has been oil starved???

my plan is to replace the cam shaft, sprocket, and mounting brackets and go ahead with the swap. any suggestions??

that looks like a lot of sealant.

I agree johnc. His pattern is correct but that bead is way too sloppy. Needs to be a small even bead that will not squeeze out into the interior chambers--or the result will be what you're facing now.

Agreed with everyone else about the sealant. You need to spread it around evenly. Something to always remember about that stuff is, whatever you see squeeze out when you tighten it down, there is an equal amount coming out on the inside.

John,

Did you disassemble that head yet? If the cam seized up, I'd be worried that the journals in the head will be messed up also. Of all the Subaru's I've worked on, I've never seen or heard of a cam seizing in the head...I'd inspect it pretty well before dropping it in the car. They are tough motors...but that's messed up :)

• 7 months later...

I used anaerobic sealant on the oil pump. Anaerobic sealant will only harden when it is deprived of oxygen, where it is pressed between the two mating surfaces. Any squeeze out will never harden and can not clog any oil passages.

Plus, I have all the time I want to install it, because it will not harden until it is installed and torqued.

I used anaerobic sealant on the oil pump. Anaerobic sealant will only harden when it is deprived of oxygen, where it is pressed between the two mating surfaces. Any squeeze out will never harden and can not clog any oil passages.

Plus, I have all the time I want to install it, because it will not harden until it is installed and torqued.

good to know the details about anaerobic sealant.

but i wonder about ''Any squeeze out will never harden and can not clog any oil passages.'' even though it does not harden, does that guarantee that a soft blob won't squeeze out, break loose and flow to a small oil channel?

just a thought. still don't want to use more than is needed.

Here is the image from the FSM:

http://beergarage.com/imgs/Suby/OPump/11.jpg

it looks to me like it shows a thin line of the sealant, not a wide smear like you would get with your finger. I am not a factory tech, just a guy looking at the pictures, so I can not say any more than that. I can say that I did this about 50k miles ago and no leaks, no oil lights, no bearing noises, knock wood.

Cheers

Really doesn't matter with anaerobic sealer.

I took the front seal plate off a transmission to change the input seal before I put it in my truck over the summer. It had been sealed by the factory with anaerobic sealer, back in 1984. The sealer that got squeezed inside was still liquid and very pliable, not much different (other than little darker color) than the new sealer I used to seal it back up with.

This was an area mostly closed off from the rest of the transmission. It did have a hole at the bottom for oil to flow out from the bearings, so it was exposed to gear oil the whole time. But it was in there for 26 years and didn't dry.