Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I hadnt drove my H6 for about 3-4 weeks, got in it the other day and both the CEL and VDC Off light stayed on, filled it up with a new tank of gas plus I pulled the battery ground, lights are still on. Went to Autozone today to check the CEL and found it to the the Oxygen sensor on the #2 bank.

They wanted $161 for the sensor, ouch!. Does any one know of a good place to buy one? Also which side of the car is the #2 bank on? left or right side looking at the car from behind.

Thanks

Brad

Bank 1 refers to cylinder #1 which is on the right, passenger side of the car. Bank 2 then should refer to the left, driver side of the car.

The O2 sensor may just have a connection problem in the circuit to it but the sensor may need to be replaced. It would help to know what the code number was. You may be able to find some discounted parts on line if you do a search.

i would clear it and see how long/if it comes back. although at this age/mileage i'm one to just give it new parts, if that's the issue.

i replaced both of the fronts on our H6 OBW with new from Subaru just because I plan on having it another 150,000 miles so why not?

Same thing happened with my '01 LLBean Outback with the O2 sensor. I found the exact replacement through amazon.com. The listing was under the Bosch brand (I figured 'What the heck, I have 140k miles, probably won't hurt"). When I removed the sensors (probably original) I saw that they were ND (Nippon Denso) brand. When I opened the Bosch #15926 packages, I saw that they were identical to the ND brand that I removed!! Seems like the price was around $50 each. If yours are original, use some PB Blaster or other loosening agent on the sensor threads so you don't strip them out. Amazon lists the price for Bosch #15926 at about $83 now, but it's still worth considering.

I've discovered that one of the fastest ways to instantly improve MPG is to replace O2 sensors every four years, no matter what. Yes; it's expensive for the part and for some vehicles with two, or more, it can get pricey. But on my '91 Lego with 216K, I still get 21 mpg in city driving with an auto and AWD. I just recently replaced my O2 about a month ago and I went from 19 to 21 in one tank, and didn't change my driving style on mid-grade fuel. Spark plugs are replaced every year on the first day of spring so I don't forget.

if you're willing to splice your original connector onto bare wires you can buy the O2 sensors without the plug, they're much cheaper that way usually.

I thought about that, seen them for as low as $25.00, but figured it was way easier to buy one that is plug and play.

I thought about that, seen them for as low as $25.00, but figured it was way easier to buy one that is plug and play.

If you have any experience soldering it only takes about 2 minutes to strip twist and solder all of the wires and heat shrink them. Worth the $50 in savings IMO.