Ultimate Subaru Message Board

please advise: buying 2000 impreza outback sport wagon

hey all, just wanted some comments, and thoughts, and specs about a car i put a deposit on..

$2200

2000 subuaru impreza outback sport

149k miles

5 spd

no leaks anywhere i can see. is this the first generation 2.5 L engine? anything i should look for?

a little rust in the back left wheel well.

comments? thanks.

check for torque bind and make sure all tires match in size and tread depth.

looks like a great deal, $2,200, what a steal!!!

does it have the 2.2 or 2.5, did you check? The Ej22 showed up in impreza's in 2000.

if it is an EJ25 it's not the first gen DOHC, it's the second generation SOHC. So to check for typical headgasket leaks look at the back of the engine where the head meets the block. They leak externally there and it's really easy to see the black/coolant/wetness on the block at that mating surface.

If it's a dealer they should be able to check records and see if the head gaskets were ever replaced, due to that issue SUbaru offered an extended 100,000 mile headgasket warranty on that vehicle.

That's an interference engine and at 150,000 miles and 10+ years old the timing belt should have been replaced, it's a 105,000 mile interval belt. Check the belt and personally i'd be inspecting the bearings in the timing pulleys as well but they won't likely do that for you.

I'd ask for the gear oil in the transmission to be changed as well, or at the very least checked, too many folks are super anal about engine oil and never change trans fluids. :rolleyes:

Edited by grossgary

hmm. good to know all that.thanks,

i llooked up the car adn it says to be a 2.2 phase 2. it has a different head than my 97 legacy L sedan. i see that it has solid lifters and not hydraulic.

i looked under the car and didnt see any active leaks and not at where the head meets the block. but it did look like there was a dark spot that could or could not be oil just sitting on the engine. ill be sure to take a better look today.

the car is being sold privately and does not have any records. in fact the owner said they havent done any maintence on the car except oil changes since they got it about two years ago.

i looked under the car and didnt see any active leaks and not at where the head meets the block. but it did look like there was a dark spot that could or could not be oil just sitting on the engine. ill be sure to take a better look today.

EJ22 won't have the issues with the HG leaking. You might have a leak from the crank seal which isn't uncommon. It's also not too bad to replace. Sounds like a good deal!

i always thought for the OBS models, last year for ej22 was 99.

preferred engine is the ej22 on this model, or you are in for expensive headaches, ie, repairs to the failed ej25.

My best advice, stick to the ej22 in the obs. walk, heck, run away from the ej25 and dont look back.

oops read that you have got it. Hey, post some pics maybe i will change my mind, changing plugs should be easy.

Edited by bheinen74

i always thought for the OBS models, last year for ej22 was 99.

preferred engine is the ej22 on this model, or you are in for expensive headaches, ie, repairs to the failed ej25.

My best advice, stick to the ej22 in the obs. walk, heck, run away from the ej25 and dont look back.

oops read that you have got it. Hey, post some pics maybe i will change my mind, changing plugs should be easy.

ill post some in the morning...

i read that this ej22 has a different head than the older ej22. it said that the previous ej22 that they had in the legacy had hydraulic lifters that did not need adjusting..

the ej22 in the 2000 obs was changed and does not have hydraulic lifters and needs to be adjusted every 100k miles...

why would subaru go backwards...?

ill post some in the morning...

i read that this ej22 has a different head than the older ej22. it said that the previous ej22 that they had in the legacy had hydraulic lifters that did not need adjusting..

the ej22 in the 2000 obs was changed and does not have hydraulic lifters and needs to be adjusted every 100k miles...

why would subaru go backwards...?

because they have gone backwards, dont ask, just accept.....sorry i can be of no further assistance.