Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello,

I may need to do a leak down test on my 2001 forester 2.5 engine,(for warrenty coverage) I called a local shop and they said the push rods have to be removed, to make sure the valves are seated.? Is this true for this modle? Or is it not nessarey? The cost is $100. This motor is from a salvage yard and has 70,000 miles on it, and it`s replaceing my old one which spone a bearen. I haven`t installed it yet. And it is leaking Oil from the drivers side head gasket. And what is rear separator?

Thanks,

Roger

I mentioned this on your other thread. A leak down test is not affected by an external oil leak - if that were the case then all subaru's more than 5 years old would fail a leak down test :lol::lol:

If you don't believe me, or maybe I'm missing something, you might want to ask on here whether or not a leak down test is going to help you. Hate to see you throw money, frustration, and time at this for no reason.

What you need to realize is that this motor has a very specific type of head gasket failure, it's not "normal". A compression test will be perfect. A leak down test will be perfect. Not because the headgaskets are fine, but because they arent' failing that way. There are multiple failure modes for a headgasket and yours is different than those. If the company doesn't know that then you need to let them know. A picture of the motor and the GOBS of online information and websites should be plenty to document the EJ25 SOHC headgasket issues. Or Subaru's own warranty and information.

Ok, if thats the case then getting a leak down test requested by the company will not prove a defected haed gasket there for doesn`t need replaceing they may claim. They told me befor I purchased it that it had been checked out. I was trying to get them to pay some of the expence.

Thanks,

Roger

Have you asked/talked to them about this? They still should warranty it, it's a failed head gasket either way. I would talk to them, they probably don't know this motor has this issue. They should still warranty a failed head gasket whether it's leaking, exploding, dripping, coughing, mixing, overheating, etc. Either way it's failed.

A leak down test will not show anything on that engine.

You should just replace the head gaskets. Any used phase-II EJ25 you buy is going to need this and that should have been figured into the cost of the job by YOU. The company sold you a 70k mile engine - that's great and all but with this particular engine it is EXPECTED that they will weep oil and coolant. Thus, in my opinion they are not at fault. In fact you could probably add the coolant conditioner and run another 100k on it before they actually need replacement.

GD

Not "probably" - it WILL show good. They always do. The leaks are external and thus the head gasket is not "blown". It is simply weeping fluids to the outside of the engine - just like a leaky valve cover, etc. This is not just common, it's virtually a gaurantee they will leak. You *cannot* buy a used engine of this model that doesn't leak so how can they sell you one? The only remedy they are possibly going to offer you is another engine - probably with more miles on it. It's going to leak as well so what's the point of persuing it? Replace the head gaskets if you are inclined or don't. I wouldn't - it's most likely not a big deal.

GD