Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how does a '91 legacy measure up?

so i managed to get a great (and much needed) deal on a '91 legacy. the only problem is that it is about an hour and a half away or so in Loveland, co.

my question is, how wide is the car? tire wall to tire wall?

The catch for getting the car is that i have to tow it from there and it is a bit far to do the old fashioned way with a rope. I have a friend thats going to let me borrow his flat-bed trailer but its exactly 5 feet wide.

Thanks!

-Justin

I guess it doesn't run, if you are wanting to flat bed the '91. Is the flat bed rated to carry something as heavy as a car? Does the trailer have it's own braking system? What are you using to pull the trailer?

It will be close, but think the Subie will fit the trailer.

Ya know, i found that website and found the measurements but my GL is less than 5 feet.. and that website says the legacy is about 5 and a half. Sounded like they were measuring it with the mirrors. tire to tire and maybe about 2 feet up from the bed is all that would matter. the trailer is rated at 5200lbs.

/if/ i were to tow it i would've removed the driveshaft. either that and/or find a 2-wheel dolly.. i really dont like towing with rope.. too much of a p.i.t.a.

-Justin

I noticed that on that archive website it says that the legacy L (which is what i'm hoping to get) AWD is optional is that true? i thought all legacy's were AWD.

-Justin

Back in 91, Subies were made as front wheel drive or, optional all wheel drive. It wasn't until a few years later that Subie went to all wheel drive across the entire product line.

Ya know, i found that website and found the measurements but my GL is less than 5 feet.. and that website says the legacy is about 5 and a half. Sounded like they were measuring it with the mirrors. tire to tire and maybe about 2 feet up from the bed is all that would matter. the trailer is rated at 5200lbs.

/if/ i were to tow it i would've removed the driveshaft. either that and/or find a 2-wheel dolly.. i really dont like towing with rope.. too much of a p.i.t.a.

-Justin

my 97 outback is 75 inches mirror to mirror. i do not believe the 91 is 15 inches narrower. cars 101 lists the width of my outback as 67 inches.

you can rent a car carrier for less than 75$, you just need a good size vehicle to tow it.

towing with a rope is unsafe, towing a car for an hour with a rope is dangerous and negligent. don't do it.

a manual trans subaru can be towed with all 4 wheels on the ground. an auto trans should be on a trailer with all 4 wheels off the ground. or if you remove the rear section of the drive shaft you can use a tow dolly with the front wheels on the dolly and the rear wheels on the ground. you still need a good size vehicle to pull it.

actually went out and measured my 1990 Legacy LS wagon...

tire wall to tire wall is about 65 in - or 5 ft 5 in - so there ya go. your 91 should be exactly the same (depending on tire size/width)

and yes, in the early 90's Legacy's came in both AWD or FWD versions - so check the rear end. :) Madkow has a Legacy L sedan that is FWD, my wagon is AWD - same year (and we have 3 parts cars - 90's & 91's - FWD and AWD - forget which is which tho).

actually went out and measured my 1990 Legacy LS wagon...

tire wall to tire wall is about 65 in - or 5 ft 5 in - so there ya go. your 91 should be exactly the same (depending on tire size/width)

and yes, in the early 90's Legacy's came in both AWD or FWD versions - so check the rear end. :) Madkow has a Legacy L sedan that is FWD, my wagon is AWD - same year (and we have 3 parts cars - 90's & 91's - FWD and AWD - forget which is which tho).

Interesting.. Learn something new everyday. Thanks for measuring i know it sounds weird asking for a width of a car.

my 97 outback is 75 inches mirror to mirror. i do not believe the 91 is 15 inches narrower. cars 101 lists the width of my outback as 67 inches.

you can rent a car carrier for less than 75$, you just need a good size vehicle to tow it.

towing with a rope is unsafe, towing a car for an hour with a rope is dangerous and negligent. don't do it.

a manual trans subaru can be towed with all 4 wheels on the ground. an auto trans should be on a trailer with all 4 wheels off the ground. or if you remove the rear section of the drive shaft you can use a tow dolly with the front wheels on the dolly and the rear wheels on the ground. you still need a good size vehicle to pull it.

I would rather tow it with a car dolly or the like. I have a buddy that has a Trailer and said i could borrow it for retrieving this car But, the trailer is exactly 5 feet wide for the bed.. I have straps and a vehicle adequate enough to tow this little rig but not really the funds to rent a 2-wheel dolly.. which is why borrowing my buddy's trailer would be sweet.

There isnt anyone here around denver that has a 2wheel dolly that i can borrow is there?

-Justin

overall, not too bad looking - no roofrack & steelies - means pretty basic, bare bones model - gonna take a wild guess and say it is only a FWD version (but i could be wrong) - but even at that, they can still handle a lot of rough weather - and get better gas mileage than the AWD! :D

hope you can get her home soon!

Pretty sure thats a 2wd one. The AWD's usually have stickers on the back that proclaim that. They could have been removed of course. The picture is too grainy to see if there's a dust cap or an axle nut on the rear wheel.

I take it you already bought the car? Were you set on getting an AWD subaru? You can swap it over, but it's fairly involved. Different gas tank, transmission, drive shafts, rear knuckles, axles and differential, crossmembers, shifter ect.

Looks like it has the awd emblem on the back. The stickers didn't start until later model years.

the pics are a bit grainy to make out what it says on the right side of the rear reflector bar- BUT - (we only have the one wagon) it says AWD right under where it says Legacy - on the left side as seen here

I Just got off the phone with the guy selling it.. it is a AWD model at least as far as the guy remembers. Its an automatic with 235k on it.

I'm still working out a way to get it down from Loveland.. but after talking to the guy sounds like no one is looking at it.. and he doesn't have it listed anywhere. Which is SWEET because he said i can pick it up after next Friday. ( i get paid, and renting a trailer is a lot easier of an option)

So what I'm thinking what I'm going to do is rent a 2-wheel car dolly, remove the rear axle, and tow it. I'd really hate to borrow my buddy's trailer, get all the way up there, and have it not fit.

Question though, the owner said there is a button on top of the shifter labeled "towing" or something like that.. I've never seen/heard of it. Is this a Mode to allow for it to /be/ towed or is it like a tow gearing option if the vehicle itself is towing something?

-Justin

Question though, the owner said there is a button on top of the shifter labeled "towing" or something like that.

chances are that it is a "manual" button. it has to do with what gear the auto trans stays in. i don't really know, when i owned a 03 i wasn't paying attention to the details. i didn't even read the owners manual, i just drove it .

the 95 - 99? auto trans do not have the button. but when you put it in 1 it stays in 1, when you put it in 2 it stays in 2 (never in 1), when you put it in 3 it will shift automatically up from 1 to2 to 3 as needed (but never in 4). any way, the manual button has some function similar to that, i think.

be sure to look under the car for the drive shaft and rear differential. you don't want to be disappointed when you get it home.

does this car run???

why not?

be sure to look under the car for the drive shaft and rear differential. you don't want to be disappointed when you get it home.

does this car run???

why not?

I'm pretty sure it is a AWD model but I also am not going to assume.. by the pictures it kinda looks like there's a axle nut in the rear. but yea, I'm going to check.

From what the guy says, it does run but it has a timing issue.. so it runs rough. He "says" he replaced the timing belt about a year ago, but since it ran rough, its been parked since.. hes thinking its a cam position sensor or something along those lines - I'm pretty much going off the assumption that its not running.. that way I'm not getting my hopes up for anything.

My idea behind getting this car is mainly for work and pleasure. My work is sending me on a lot of high mileage trips, and my GL needs to be rebuilt VERY soon. I also want to do a bit of traveling with my family and want something reliable. I know roo's and their reliability, so it had to be one!

This will be my first Legacy.. I've mainly owned GL/Loyale Model 'roo's, also my youngest car coming in at coming in at 19 years lol.

From what the guy says, it does run but it has a timing issue.. so it runs rough. He "says" he replaced the timing belt about a year ago, but since it ran rough, its been parked since.

i think i'd drive it back. running rough is running and a second driver could be as easy as '' honey, lets go for a drive...."

or better yet, take your tools and set the timing belt correctly and then drive it back. the slow/ hard part will be compressing the tensioner, see other post. remove valve covers, crank pulley, one idler, set the timing correctly, put it back together.

you can always rent a tow dolly and haul it if you can't fix it or drive it.

you are gonna like the Legacy - a bit more elbow room, much nicer ride and a little more hp than the old GL/Loyale models. and the 4EAT is a MUCH nicer tranny than the old 3spd 'spastics. I do kind of miss my old GL wagon, but I really like my Lego for longer trips - much more comfy!

I'm with johnc - from the description, sounds like the timing is a tad off - take a few tools and get it set right and drive it home! (and watch the guy drop his jaw in amazement) :grin:

or better yet, take your tools and set the timing belt correctly and then drive it back. the slow/ hard part will be compressing the tensioner, see other post. remove valve covers, crank pulley, one idler, set the timing correctly, put it back together.

... I'm probably still going to go with towing it back on a car dolly. I've never "officially" done a timing job before and dont exactly want to learn in the guys driveway. that and since he's a good hour or so away, i dont want to get there, find that the timing part is actually good and have no good way to get the car back home... Renting a car dolly sometimes isnt as easy as calling and getting it anymore, last time i needed one last minute it took me a couple hours to rummage one up.

you are gonna like the Legacy - a bit more elbow room, much nicer ride and a little more hp than the old GL/Loyale models. and the 4EAT is a MUCH nicer tranny than the old 3spd 'spastics. I do kind of miss my old GL wagon, but I really like my Lego for longer trips - much more comfy!

I'm with johnc - from the description, sounds like the timing is a tad off - take a few tools and get it set right and drive it home! (and watch the guy drop his jaw in amazement) :grin:

I think I'm going to like it too. I've driven the 5sp model before. My neighbor had one and he let me drive it.. very nice i must say. I'm not a fan of the first model body style though.. but hey, free car is a free car right?

I was also thinking about the auto trans. I know how crappy the 3eat EA82's are.. and was kinda worried if that would hold them ponies back lol. I usually prefer a 5speed.. to me, they get better gas milage. This works out though because /if/ we really are going to use it for trips and such.. she can actually drive it. (she hates a manual trans).

Johnc, I saw your timing article in your sig. that was very helpfull.. I'm sure i could probably do it easy but i dont really want to put all my eggs in one basket if you know what i mean. It would be flippin' sweet if it was just a tooth off or something in the timing. but we will see.. I've never had great luck with it being something simple like that. And knowing my luck its probably something else :-/

-Justin

Heck yeah - any free car is a good car!! :grin:

the 4 EAT's are a WORLD apart from the old 3 spds - very nice actually. the only thing that bothers me about it (i am getting used to it) - and it IS perfectly normal from what I understand - in cold weather it will not shift to 4th until it is fully warmed up. Summer time, no problem.

my average fuel mileage is 28 to just over 30 mpg - mostly country 2 lane driving - an occasionaly freeway trip, but not often. the other half has a 5spd FWD sedan that consistently gets 33-34 - same type of roads, about 60 miles a day round trip for work & back. not a huge difference, considering the differences in the 2 cars: FWD -vs- AWD, Auto -vs- Manual, also wagon -vs- sedan (weight difference).

If it really is an AWD model, make sure the tires are all the same - make, style, size and wear - and inflated properly - the AWD system is finnicky about this - I have a known slow leaky tire on mine and have to check every few days to keep it happy, but so far so good - no torque bind yet. *knocks on wood*

Edited by heartless

Heck yeah - any free car is a good car!! :grin:

the 4 EAT's are a WORLD apart from the old 3 spds - very nice actually. the only thing that bothers me about it (i am getting used to it) - and it IS perfectly normal from what I understand - in cold weather it will not shift to 4th until it is fully warmed up. Summer time, no problem.

my average fuel mileage is 28 to just over 30 mpg - mostly country 2 lane driving - an occasionaly freeway trip, but not often. the other half has a 5spd FWD sedan that consistently gets 33-34 - same type of roads, about 60 miles a day round trip for work & back. not a huge difference, considering the differences in the 2 cars: FWD -vs- AWD, Auto -vs- Manual, also wagon -vs- sedan (weight difference).

If it really is an AWD model, make sure the tires are all the same - make, style, size and wear - and inflated properly - the AWD system is finnicky about this - I have a known slow leaky tire on mine and have to check every few days to keep it happy, but so far so good - no torque bind yet. *knocks on wood*

I'll have to keep that in mind about the warming up part. I didnt know that.

I normally dont like automatics because of the lack of power and engine control. My Jeep has a automatic tranny and its not too bad.

I'm starting to get a little puzzled as to if it really is a AWD or not. I've been looking up pictures of the '91 lego and noticed that even the "Limated" model when it comes with AWD has the AWD in there next to the "L". But at the same time, you can kinda make out a "AWD 4x4" on the right side of the tailgate.

Like i said, i can go either way on if its AWD or FWD. I'd prefer FWD mainly because i'd like to use the car for mostly work driving and some traveling so fuel MPG would be nice. But since i cant just switch it from AWD to FWD as easy as i can switch from 4wd to FWD on my GL.. AWD is nice :grin:.

I'm trying to get the guy to email me some more pictures of the car, mostly to satisfy my want for the car.. since i cant have it just yet, i'd like to look at it some more... get a good feel to what i'm getting into.

My main concern, is what all is wrong with the car that the guy isn't telling me. like.. what if its more than just timing that is a problem?

what are the most common problems these EJ22's have? or even what problems do these 2nd gen lego's have?

first things first, I'm not going to try anything really while I'm up there.. I might bring a battery to try and start it up but i don't think I'm going to spend that much time on it while I'm up there. I was thinking of putting a light on it when i get it back down and see how far off the timing is.

what would anyone suggest i should try first if/when i first get it started? should i just wait and go strait to the timing belt and re-time it then go from there? and what about the Cam position sensor? how often do they actually go out? what else can anyone think of that could be the problem?

hopefully I'm not being too much of a pain I'm just trying to find out as much as i can about the car.

Holy crap.. my wife is right.. I really am stalking the car:lol:

Thanks everyone for all the help!

-Justin

Edited by crazyman03