Ultimate Subaru Message Board

just got a 3D STD

thanks! it needs a lot of work, but from 20 feet away it looks great.

is the red one dead? if so I might try to buy/trade some parts... like the cyclops light and the 4x4. maybe his fenders too - mine are rust-free but dented up pretty bad.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It might be, I'm not sure. I can't ever recall it being well... moved. It was always there, always seemed to be in the same place, with the same angle on the front tires. It has to have been moved at some point at least to put air in them though because if it had been sitting exposed that long at least one tire should be flat.

By the way, I think your fan is working because you might have had a large air bubble in the coolant. Probably around where the thermal switch is located and it never got hot enough to trigger the fan to turn on. Adding water probably was all you needed for that fix.

Those arnt the ASVs. The black plastic things are silencers for the ASV's. The ASVs are all metal and have a metal pipe coming up from the bottom of the head into itself. I have 4 ASV valves if you need a good one. Im sure one (or all) of mine are still good.

so wait, what? where are they?

mine may not even be bad... a guy just told me the lines aren't making noise, and they should be "gurgling"

Idk what that guy was talking about but you shouldnt really be hearing anything from them. Chances are they are just fine. All they are meant to do is muffle the exhaust that is going through those rubber lines (yea i kno great design subaru). I havent had a EA81 vehicle with that system intact in awhile cause every one i get i yank out and throw a weber on :lol:.

Idk what all has been said about passing emissions to you yet but ill throw my two cents in.

Tune up - cap, rotor, wires, plugs

Timing- make sure its at 8 degrees

Air cleaner

Then before you go in for emissions go take it for a long drive..im talking 1/2 hour to an hour and get it really heated up. Also lean out the carb a hair. It should pass after that.

Nice work so far! Glad to see some progress! You'll be passing in no time I'll bet!

That red 81 hatch on 15th is cool and drives. Its got some rust on it though. I don't know if its a board member, I haven't ever seen it on the road or an owner, just seen it move a lot over the years as I'm just down the block. There is a nice looking blue wagon up by judy foos on 15"aa rims, on the board too, but I don't know his board name.

discount tire is doing $50 off any set of 4 tires or 4 wheels... I got a set of kuhmo power stars for $177 installed

4753620720_f42f891abe_z.jpg

got back to work and thought the tires looked a little skinny... turns out they installed 155s instead of the 185s I had... I know the OE size is 155 but these are wider wheels and I want them to match my spare as well.

going back tomorrow morning to get 185s. the tires cost more but the manager said they'd split the difference.

Edited by saturn

yep. previous owner said the old wheels were trashed and the spare was missing... and he could only get these aftermarket pugeot alloy wheels and a GL wheel at the junk yard to replace the smaller spare.

cool factoid: my snow tires were 16 years old.

at the tire place now, guy who put the wrong size on yesterday is trying to argue with me over it, i explaned that they're wider wheels, and that my spare is also from a gl, yet he still insists that ignoring everything i said and everything the computer said (i had them put it as a gl) and putting on 155s wasn't a mistake....

at the tire place now, guy who put the wrong size on yesterday is trying to argue with me over it, i explaned that they're wider wheels, and that my spare is also from a gl, yet he still insists that ignoring everything i said and everything the computer said (i had them put it as a gl) and putting on 155s wasn't a mistake....

Guess someone has already forgotten one of the not so fine points of customer service: Don't argue with the customer over what they want. Especially when they're going to pay you for it.

and putting on 155s wasn't a mistake....

Technically it isn't. Other sizes will throw off the speedo a bit. But all things considred it's not a real big deal.

I've had Les Schwabb install 185's on a 2WD (175) car before. They had no problem with it and did exactly as I requested.

GD