Ultimate Subaru Message Board

$1800 tells me it needs work. That's a $5000 car if its running right.

How many miles? What's the story on the head gaskets? Does it run hot?

I thought I was landing a deal on a '97 (same motor) about 2 months ago. I knew these particular Subarus had really bad head gasket issues. I saw lots of post that said if you're looking at one with much more than 100K, make sure it had the head gaskets replaced, along with everything else. Well, mine just had all that stuff and ran AWESOME. Unfortunately, when it ran so hot that it blew the head gaskets, it also did internal bearing damage. About a month later a tap started that quickly became a major knock. Long story short - I just got done putting a new engine from 95 (2.2L) in yesterday :) I did it myself and I spent $1000. Paying someone else to do it would have been double or triple.

So, the moral of the story...

In my short time as a Subaru owner, I've learned to never buy a 97-99 2.5 (EJ25) unless you are prepared to do a lot of work to it. Not saying ALL have these problems, but its a very high likelihood. ESPECIALLY if you're getting a loan to buy it as is - that tells me you don't have the cash to put into it.

Edited by tricked919

doesn't look like a bad deal. over 10 years old and that mileage i'd want to do a complete timing belt job with new pulleys on it since it's an interference engine.

they mention the low price - a lot of folks won't buy salvage title vehicles. this one looks minor, just the rear bumper?

it's a DOHC - drive it a lot and make sure it doesn't overheat before buying. problem is these things overheat very sporadically when they first start to fail. ask or you can even look at the headgaskets and try to see if they've been replaced, sometimes you can tell if it was recent enough. as they age they rust and it becomes harder to tell externally by looking.

even with engine issues though you could install new headgaskets or an EJ22 and be in good shape.

if you're looking at one with much more than 100K, make sure it had the head gaskets replaced
EJ25 head gasket issues\ have nothing to do with mileage. they were blowing them a long time ago, you can see websites with lists of documented low mileage cases. of the EJ25's that i've bought one blew at 34,000 and another around 80,000.

of course most now are at 100k now, or have already been replaced, so that incorrect suggestion normally "fits". :lol:

This makes me think of the Legacy GT my brother just got rid of. When Ramsey (UGH) Subaru did a check on it it still had the original HGs at 150k and showed no signes of leaking. But the subaru mechanic still recomended replaceing it if he had to do a clutch anyway. Just a precautionary method. He was like, i would need to pull the motor to get at the clutch so might as well replace that while its out. Kinda in a tough spot because no one is gonna loan me money to buy a 94 or older legacy and these ones do tend to have a bit of problems. Otherwise id half to venture outside the subaru family.

who has a link to the shop website in the NW? that posts the pics, causes, and fixes for the head gaskets. they even talked about the multi-layer and a new, new gasket for a late model subie.

anyway that is the best site for pics i can remember of the 'new' and original head gaskets. and there are differences which you may be able to see with the engine in the car. specifically the top corners, front and rear. the originals have round holes in the corners, i think. the 'new' one have a rectangular stamp? in the corners. if you can find the corners on your engine you may be able to tell if it is old or new.

has any one else seen this difference? or looked for it?

has any one else been able to see, with the engine in the car, that the hgs have been changed?

differences in the hg would be easier to see from below, there is less stuff in the way, but from what i could tell there are fewer if any differences in the bottom of the gaskets.

i looked for new or old on my 97 obw and i did see the rectangular stamp on the rear top corner of the passenger side head. this gives me hope that the gaskets have been done but i have no confirmnation other than the fact that the car has 135k miles and no gunk in the coolant and no overheating.

i bought it at 98k, it has piston slap, and i assumed the gaskets had not been done. but when comparing the pics of the new and old gaskets i decided to take a look. now i'm hopeful and worried i may be setting my self up for disappointment.

but i got the car cheap and had a replacement engine waiting for it to overheat. i'm still waiting.

Edited by johnceggleston

'ben.

I know a guy 8 miles from me trying to sell a 1998 black limited outback, he's asking 700 and i turned it down. Has a 5 speed new clutch new tires, leather. Needs headgaskets. asking 700 is reasonable.....still i didn think it was worth it..

who has a link to the shop website in the NW? that posts the pics, causes, and fixes for the head gaskets. they even talked about the multi-layer and a new, new gasket for a late model subie.

anyway that is the best site for pics i can remember of the 'new' and original head gaskets. and there are differences which you may be able to see with the engine in the car. specifically the top corners, front and rear. the originals have round holes in the corners, i think. the 'new' one have a rectangular stamp? in the corners. if you can find the corners on your engine you may be able to tell if it is old or new.

has any one else seen this difference? or looked for it?

has any one else been able to see, with the engine in the car, that the hgs have been changed?

differences in the hg would be easier to see from below, there is less stuff in the way, but from what i could tell there are fewer if any differences in the bottom of the gaskets.

Here is the link for the HG differences:

http://allwheeldriveauto.com/subaru-head-gasket-problems-explained/

Here is the one for the "better" HG

http://allwheeldriveauto.com/a-better-subaru-25l-head-gasket-in-seattle/

Yes, I've noticed the difference in the car. Best bet is to just look at a new and old gasket and compare them. Maybe I'll take a picture when I get home since I have a freshly reselaed EJ25 and old gaskets in the trash. The gasket protrudes on the top enough to look at the edges.

Thing is - i've seen that when they get older it's hard to tell. I've "thought" they were old gaskets only to remove and see that they're the new style gaskets but the edges have all rusted/corroded and look like the old style gaskets. The engine I just tore apart I was told had the headgaskets done 30,000 miles ago but it only looked like one side was done because the other was notably "rusted" and seamed together. when i took it apart it was obvious they were both replaced at the same time and the one was a newer gasket, just didn't appear that way on edge due to age. Weird that one looked new and the other not as much on the outside.

So, yes you can tell, but it's not always 100% possible.

There are later model subarus with EJ22's, they just tend to not have all the nice trims and such. But they're also a bit cheaper usually. That $700 car you could pay someone to install an EJ22 for $1,000 or $1,000 to replace head gaskets (typical dealer cost is about that) and still be $1,000 less than what you're looking at in this thread. Then sell the heads/motor for a few hundred to recouperate some costs.

thanks for the links, i bookmarked them.

So, yes you can tell, but it's not always 100% possible.

i was just surprised to see what i thought were new gaskets when i looked on my car. and just because the gaskets are not original does not mean they will go 150k miles. but it would be nice when looking at a car to buy to at least have a clue of what to look for.

i was just surprised to see what i thought were new gaskets when i looked on my car. and just because the gaskets are not original does not mean they will go 150k miles. but it would be nice when looking at a car to buy to at least have a clue of what to look for.

nice hit, new gaskets!

try at the top of the engine, across that seam. from front to back there's a couple spots where the gasket protrudes or is visible on edge. the accessories do get in the way. back doesn't seem helpful, front is mostly covered, and underneath i'm not sure, it's always oil covered :lol::lol:

Bump, talking to the bank tomorrow and if it goes well well go from there. No rust and just a dent on the hatch and quarter which is easy to fix. Nice leather and no sunroof. All the other bells and whisles though. I really liked driveing my brothers 98 legacy gt so this would be a nice pickup for me.