Ultimate Subaru Message Board

engine smoking

My 1990 Loyale smokes when I accelerate from a stop. It only smokes for about 3 seconds and only after the engine has reached operating temp. I replaced the PCV valve yesterday and all was fine but 24 hours and about 50 miles later the smoke is back. It is definitely oil that is burning from the looks and smell of it. The car has 250K miles on the engine and except for ticking before the engine gets up to temp. all else seems to be in good working order. Does anyone have any suggestions ? The hippies up hear in Ashland, Oregon are not to keen on the James Bond smokescreen.

Thanks

i think thats just what engines start doing when they have 250k+

id say really the only way to stop it is rebuild it. new rings and valve seals should do it pretty good. but its not hurting anything but the hippies' feeling the way it is right now:grin:

If you only replaced the PCV valve itself and didn't clean the hoses and connectors associated with the entire breather system that might still be your problem. Also replace the air filter if you haven't in a while.

When they get up there in the mileage it's not uncommon to see valve stem seals start to leak a bit of oil in the cylinders so don't be terribly surprised if the PCV system clean-out doesn't completely fix it.

Rings on these engines just don't wear out. You could probably do a valve stem seal replace on it with the heads still on the engine and fix the majority of it's problems. Properly maintained the EA82 can do well over 300k before some major mechanical problem claims it - usually rod bearing failure will claim them long before anything else goes.

GD