Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It's probably on the outside. Depending on the level of "dullness" you can either use a regular plastic polish to clean it up, or you might want to go buy a headlight restoration kit.

3M makes a good one. It has attachments for an electric drill that make it really easy and quick to use.

• 1 month later...

try a few drops of brake fluid on a soft rag.

test on a small spot first.

seems like I would then finish it off with a bit of wd 40.

this does a pretty decent job and is very easy and cheap.

it will need to be redone every now and then though.

You did say that the problem is inside of the housings.

It's possible that if the seal for the bulbs has gone bad that the inside of the housings have an accumulation of crud. If the glue that holds the covers to the housings has started to degrade, this can happen also. If so, you'd need to remove them and use a cleaner inside and clean them out. I have seen this happen on occassion to these euro-style lights.

Now, which I have seen a few times also, if the reflective coating on the inside has dulled out because weather has gotten in, there's little one can do about that short of replacing the housings. If you're very good, it is possible to cut off the clear covers and spray a new reflective coating after cleaning the housing insides real well and then reglue the covers on. The trick is to remove the covers without breaking them. You'd have to get in between the cover and the housing where it is glued in place. That's the trick.

If you try this and crack the covers, we hold no liability.

Edited by Allpar Mod