Ultimate Subaru Message Board

stripped axle hub or busted tranny?

I'm trying to figure out if I stripped out the splines on the wheel hub or if it is the stub of the trans axle gone south.

I am ressurecting the brat after having it set for severel years.

To me it feels like the splines have spun. I let out the clutch, it will go a ways, then I feel (hear) a clunk.

I think it is the front right.

How would it act if it is the axle stub?

I also remember it had another weird symptom... If I drove into a slow curve, the steering wheel would whip back and forth a good 2 to 3 inches.

The brat is lifted and has 14" wheels.

thanks, dp

Like GD said and also try grabing the upper cup and pulling up and down on it. Just before my last transmission blew the output stubs had an extreme amount of play in them. Just my 2cents Good Luck

-cody

What does it do in 4wd? When my '82 wagon stripped the hub, it made a horrible noise in 2wd and would not move at all, but went just fine in 4wd (now rwd...). It's apparently not uncommon for the hubs to strip out especially if the castle nuts are not tight enough.

Simple way to tell... make a chalk mark on the castle nut and the wheel, and try driving and see if they still line up. If not, then it's the hub. If yes, then it's somewhere farther in.

Z

What does it do in 4wd? When my '82 wagon stripped the hub, it made a horrible noise in 2wd and would not move at all, but went just fine in 4wd (now rwd...). It's apparently not uncommon for the hubs to strip out especially if the castle nuts are not tight enough.

Simple way to tell... make a chalk mark on the castle nut and the wheel, and try driving and see if they still line up. If not, then it's the hub. If yes, then it's somewhere farther in.

Z

Thanks, for the chalk idea. That's the tip I needed.