Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel Tank-Latest Issue

The latest issue with my 86' GL-10 turbo is a dirty fuel tank. Tank sat all Winter with nearly nothing in it. Been driving the car since May. Fuel filter/pump have gotten clogged a few times. For the sake of postponing the inevitable we just dumped them out and put them back in. Worked a few times but last night it didn't. Problem has been getting worse.

So, question is, is it worth it to try to clean the fuel tank with a home cleaning/sealing kit? Or is it better to have a pro do it, or just buy a new tank? Has anyone had success with a home cleaning kit?

Thanks!

I've been trying to find one.. Problem is that for some reason the tanks for MPFI turbos are nearly 3X the price of non-MPFI tanks. What gives?? A brand new tank for the same year is 80 bucks for non-turbo, and 240 bucks for a turbo?? Trying to find a used one but there seems to be a total lack of MPFI wagons around here! Maybe I'll just try the DIY cleaner, anybody have brand reccomendations?

Thanks

I've been trying to find one.. Problem is that for some reason the tanks for MPFI turbos are nearly 3X the price of non-MPFI tanks. What gives?? A brand new tank for the same year is 80 bucks for non-turbo, and 240 bucks for a turbo?? Trying to find a used one but there seems to be a total lack of MPFI wagons around here! Maybe I'll just try the DIY cleaner, anybody have brand reccomendations?

Thanks

If it was me I would just use an SPFI tank and make it work. There are probably small differences with the SPFI/MPFI tanks but people put EJ22's into SPFI cars all the time without any issues. You might need to adapt some of the hose sizes, etc but it's not really a big deal. The tank will handle the pressure and volume easily.

What you don't want is a carbed tank. It won't have the baffles that are needed for fuel injection.

SPFI tanks should be much easier to find used since they made them up till '94.

GD

Thanks

hi,

the EA-82 type spfi and mpfi tanks are interchangable, the carburator vehicle tanks use a different size hose connections. turbo or non turbo has no bearing on these, only if if it is FI or carb, use any fi tank from 85-89 for sure and probably till 91. any EA-82 body style with FI .

I had a similar problem with my XT6. I pulled the tank and drained it.. took it down to the local you spray it car wash and washed it out real good from every angle i could stick the nozzle in it.. Dumped it out as best I could.. let it dry out in the Arizona heat and let it roll. Haven't had a problem since.