Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have to replace the rear cat on my '99 OBW. So far, for an exact OEM style replacement, the best price I can find is from autopartswarehouse.com, $146 & change. If I want to go through the hassle of a universal, I can get one for $77.

Anyone know of any better prices out there or possibly have one laying around? The rear cat on this model houses the downstream O2 sensor.

When you talk about catalytic converters you get what you pay for. A universal cheap cat is not going to have very much of the precious metals needed to clean the exhaust gasses properly. Nor, will the cheap OE fit units. Ask a mechanic, any mechanic, the brand they use as a replacement cat. They do not use the cheap units because they do not want the job to come back to the shop. You may not even get the service light out with a cheap cat.

Steve

I bought a cheap one last summer for a friends legacy and it's unbelievably rusted after only one year. Doesn't look any different than the original stuff that's still on there. This is tough spot for older subaru's. cheap stuff doesn't last but the high price from Subaru is a tough bullet to bite too.

an exhaust shop that will weld in new pipe for $50-$100.

I bought a cheap one last summer for a friends legacy and it's unbelievably rusted after only one year. Doesn't look any different than the original stuff that's still on there. This is tough spot for older subaru's. cheap stuff doesn't last but the high price from Subaru is a tough bullet to bite too.

an exhaust shop that will weld in new pipe for $50-$100.

That will not fly if he must pass an emissions inspection.

Steve

Many people have bought the cheap cat's - only to find they don't work well enough and they end up with P0420 codes indicating catalyst inneficiency.

Gut the old one or if it's too rusted up have a straight section of pipe installed then space the rear O2 sensor away from the exhaust stream with a non-fouler to eliminate the code. Cost is about $8 for the non-fouler(s) and whatever solution you come up with for the cat or pipe section to replace the cat.

I've "fixed" many catalytic converter codes on many different cars and trucks this way. Usually for less than $200 including my labor charges. :)

GD