Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Problems with Dealer- Need advice!!!

I'm in the dealer as I type. My wife's Subaru blew a timing belt last Thursday. I live in central Washington, but was on a road trip to LA. It blew in southern Oregon. Without an option I had it towed to the dealer. Every valve was busted.

My problem- The car was diagnosed and heads taken off last Thursday. Exactly a week ago, almost to the hour. I was called on Monday and was told that the car would be ready for me on Wednesday. I ended up not coming back until today (Thursday). I get here and they still have it torn apart and it will not be done until 5pm. I got here at 1:30.

The guy at the desk first denied that he said it'd be ready, and then just told me that something unexpected probably came up. I went and talked with the mechanic and he told me that he got pulled off the job because another warrantied car needed his attention and he didn't get started until this morning. THE DAY AFTER THEY SAID THEY'D BE DONE! I then was told by the mechanic that he didn't think the valves got here until this morning, but I was told on Monday that they were being overnighted...

So, I now will not reach my destination tonight and have been totally inconvenienced. So far they have taken no ownership for the inconvenience. I am very upset that it is taking longer and even more upset that I was not called to be informed of the delay. I would still be in San Fransisco with my good buddy if I had known the car would not be waiting for me.

Finally- Do I have to pay them in full? What I want to do is deduct their hourly wage from my bill for every hour I had to wait. What can they do? I'm waiting until they finish the work before I start playing hardball. Other than sending me to collections, what can they do? I don't know, but I am just frustrated.

Any suggestions?!?!?!???

Oh man, what a terrible situation to be in. Where is the dealership you're at?

Only suggestions I can think of are:

1) Demand to sit down with the manager and/or owner of the dealership. Keep your cool but be firm in your complaint with them.

2) Contact SOA and ask to talk with a Regional Manager for the area.

3) File a complaint with the local BBB.

4) File a complaint with the state's Office of Consumer Affairs or Ombudsman or whatever they have.

Good luck--hope all goes well for you.

i doubt you can money for your time, but you should be reimbursed for your room and board.

let's see, first calmly explain and request satisfaction. when that doesn't work speak to the general manager, and calmly explain and request satisfaction. when that doesn't work calmly announce that you are calling the better business bureau to calmly explain and request satisfaction. their negligence has cost you money.

there is no excuse for not calling you to say the parts did not come in. it would have been a lie, but at least you would have known the car was not ready.