Ultimate Subaru Message Board

brake caliper rebuild

I have an 86 gl and want to rebuild the front brake calipers.I ve read about removing the calipers and was wondering how to install the piston without messing up the threads. I take it there are threads inside since the piston has to be turned to get clearance for the pads. thanks for any help.

Edited by dave86gl
mistake

you don't even need to remove the caliper, i've left them on the vehicle before but it's easier to remove particularly for a first time job.

there's a square tool for turnign the caliper piston, it attaches to your socket. any auto parts store has it - sounds like you might already have it if you're faimliar with a brake job?

it's like a $3 tool. you just turn the piston back in place, it's threaded. really simple. clean everything up, install new oring around the piston, screw it in place and install the boots/clips and you're done. easy job.

hi gary, maybe i'm confused(probably) but some of the brake rebuild tips offered by members said the piston should be removed to inspect and clean out the caliper. something about plating coming off piston because of corrosion. mine was sticking,and my son ground the rotor to scrap.

hi gary, maybe i'm confused(probably) but some of the brake rebuild tips offered by members said the piston should be removed to inspect and clean out the caliper. something about plating coming off piston because of corrosion. mine was sticking,and my son ground the rotor to scrap.

right you remove the piston to rebuild the caliper, you got it. clean up the insides. install new seal around piston, boot and clips, and install piston, it's very simple. been a little while, you might install the piston with new seal/oring around it first, then install the boot/clip once it's partially threaded in. takes a bit to get the piston started rotating and threading but not a big deal, lug nuts can do that!!! LOL

i would imagine you can get a used one off of here or from a yard for a few dollars, rebuild a good used one first for practice is what i would recommend. they're probably so cheap...if you needed XT6 stuff i'd hardly want much for it...it would be worth it in case the seized one is hosed anyway to have on hand.

caliper replacement is the norm and the best fit for many folks, but i'm surprised on GD's recommendation given your propensity to deem engine removing head gasket replacement no big deal?

Edited by grossgary

Well - I was refering to a "full" rebuild wherein replacement of the rubber boot on the back of the caliper is also done - which entails removing the e-brake lever mechanism..... which is a PITA. :rolleyes:

If all you are doing is pulling the piston, cleaning, and reinstalling it then that's not a rebuild - it's a piston boot/seal replacement which is fine if that's all it needs. You can't resurface the caliper bore or anything, but you can clean, lubricate, and replace the o-ring seal.

GD

On the older stuff the boots can get torn and "mushy", etc. I've seen it more on the EA81's - I had a torn, mangled boot on one of my Brat calipers and I've seen some others on off-road rigs.

XT6's being largely "street" driven probably don't see the damage that some of the EA wagons and such have seen in their more "rugged" life.

GD