Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81 carb issue

The bolts are good I even checked for that leak but its fine. My friends 80 brat has that leak but his just idles high it doesnt bog. Before I looked at my carb it idled high but it was a unconnected hose and I plugged it back in and it idles fine now but still bogs.

Unfortunately there isn't a lot of knowledge about those carbs - they were uncommon and generally are even more hated than the Hitachi's which were much more common. I don't know what to tell you other than you should probably rebuild it or swap it to a Hitachi manifold and a Weber.

You might try to buy a book on carbs in general to get an idea of how they function and what the ports you are looking at are supposed to do. If it were in front of me I could likely fix it but working blind I can't do much to help you.

GD

Unfortunately there isn't a lot of knowledge about those carbs - they were uncommon and generally are even more hated than the Hitachi's which were much more common. I don't know what to tell you other than you should probably rebuild it or swap it to a Hitachi manifold and a Weber.

You might try to buy a book on carbs in general to get an idea of how they function and what the ports you are looking at are supposed to do. If it were in front of me I could likely fix it but working blind I can't do much to help you.

GD

+1

Ive owned all three going from the one barrel to the hitachi to the weber. The one barrel is a terrible carburetor. Mine was a low mileage unit and would not run right until the car was fully warmed up and even then it never ran 100 percent. Also i should note that i got better fuel economy with the hitachi than with the carter weber. Going from the hitachi to the weber i didnt really lose much gas mileage but i gained reliability and ease to work on. If it were me id pick up a hitachi intake and ditch the one barrel. There really is no gain in keeping it.

• 3 years later...