Ultimate Subaru Message Board

94 air suspension

I just bought a 27K milage Loyale SW with air suspension.

The right rear drop after 10 minutes driving. Turn the car off and back on, it pump right back up for another ten minutes. The blinking light comes on when it falls. Does any one know what to look for?

air suspensions are really convoluted, age does not help them, low mileage probably hurts from sitting and dry rotting rubber orings and fittings.

i would convert it to coil over, that's your best bet. you can convert the rear and leave the fronts as air, it'll work fine.

if you want to track the leak down - common leakage points are the air strut bags, the orings (2 of different size on the rears), the orings at the front on the compressor/drier. the fittings at the compressor are also prone to cracking and leaking, check them at the base of the compressor where you see 5 fittings - 4 in the circle, and one in the center. check each base for cracks.

there are many, many leakage points. soapy water should help find them.

solenoids can also fail and stick. you can replace them or try and disassemble and "stretch" the internal spring out to improve sealing.

the controllers can fail as well and are located under the drivers seat on the XT6.

we have LOTS of air suspension information on subaruxt.com since all 4WD XT6's came with air suspension.

If it is just one strut , the o rings are tiny and cost just pennies. I would probably fix it. On ours ALL the fittings leaked and the compressor cylinder walls were heavily scored. I bought a $200 wagon and put the struts on from it. One strut squeaks a little and the back sits kinda hi. But oh well.:)

they are always quirky when they have problems. don't ever think air suspensions make sense, read my list of all possibilities!:lol: although yours sounds totally normal:

the more technical answer is that the system shuts down after 10 minutes to protect the compressor from overheating. it's leaking and therefore the compressor is running way over time - the system shuts down after 10 minutes of trying to pump it up. it's basically destroying the compressor too, they're a very weak design and can't withstand constant use like that.

like i said - you have a leak. strut air bag, solenoid oring, fitting oring, compressor oring, compressor fitting, pressure tank, condenser.

find the leak and fix it.

Also I've had it remain up all day with the key off (setting not runnig).

if the car is sitting still the suspension isnt "working" - ie: absorbing bumps, therefore it IS possible for it to remain fully inflated - but start moving, the suspension starts working and the leak in the system becomes evident...

see grossgary's posts...