Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Best source advice for clicking from axles

As you may or may not know, I recently purchased a '87 GL-10 Wagon. I'm getting it road worthy and it's getting closer every day, and now that I have driven it on a road I've noticed some clicking from the front end. I can only hear it at lower speeds, I'm assuming at least one of my axles needs repairs. Is this a solid assumption? Can these axles be rebuilt? Where can I source a rebuilt kit or purchase good quality new axles?

Could be the axles - especially if it's clicking on turns and you see blown out axle boots.

Replaceing the axles is much easier than rebuilding them. Chances are good that you don't have the facilities to properly rebuild a drive axle and in any case a reman is cheaper than the individual joint components. I use the EMPI's - I get them at a local import parts house - they do a lot of EMPI VW parts and they also carry their axle line for all makes/models. Subaru axles run about $69 each.

GD

Probably 23 but if it came from a turbo it would be a 25 spline transmission. Those are rare though - D/R turbo 5 speeds are not a common thing to have on hand and not know about it.

It would have a 3.7:1 rear diff and a 1.2:1 low range if it's a turbo tranny. 3.9:1 and 1.59:1 if it's a non-turbo (likely).

GD