Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 Legacy AWD Auto, everything works in the instrument cluster except the speedo. I tried 2 other clusters, one from a 95 and one from a 96. Still no speedo working. It does show a CEL. 110,000 miles.

Could it be the vehicle speed sensors? I'm going to test the sensor with the drill like the other post recommended. Any other ideas?

Thanks

Dan

Thanks, yes it has the electronic speedo sensor. They want $100 for one at auto zone. I want to make sure it is the culprit before I buy it. This 95 Legacy has 2 speed sensors. I have to figure out which one is no good.

Dan

the speedo gets it's info from the front speed sensor, located as mentioned above. it is referred to in the parts catalogs as "VSS 2". vss1 is on the rear of the trans.

there are 2 typical failure modes, asuming it is not the speedo itself.

1. the vss is bad or a wiring connector is bad so the speedo is not getting any info.

2. the speedo / vss2 drive gears in the trans are bad and the vss is not getting in rotational input from the trans.

one or both of the following should isolate your problem.

jack up the right front wheel, put the car in 'N', remove the VSS2 and gently insert a thin shaft flat screwdriver into the vss hole. you need to find the slot the vss fits into and get the screwdrivwer to mate with it. then turn the wheel by hand and see if the screwdriver turns as well. this will show you if the drive grears are good.

or remove the VSS2 and fashion the tab on the end into an electric drill. be gentle you do not want ot booger it. then with the car on or running in "P" run the drill about 700 - 800 rpms or less. (if the drill goes 3400 rpm do about a quarter of that.) this should approximate 60 mph or so, slower is ok too. check to see if the speedo moves.

there is chance, i don't really know if there is a ground wire on the vss, there is achance that the vss will not make the speedo move unless it is grounded. in this case you will have to use a multimeter to see if it is makinfg an electrical signal.

good luck.

Do you have a CEL?

The AWD in this year (I may be wrong) Has 2 vss snesors. If they both go out the cel should be on and the cars performance, well, odd and the spedo wont work.

Check the wiring harness, as it is rare for them both to quit at the same time.