Ultimate Subaru Message Board

You don't mention which engine.

HLA's are probably getting warn. if you've noticed oil causing it in the past, it may be that the oil needs to be changed more frequently or the leaks fixed.

You probably need to replace the noisy lifters and reseal the cam towers.

Another option is to add MMO or seafoam to your oil....or ATF if it's sticking rather than warn.

You don't mention which engine.

HLA's are probably getting warn. if you've noticed oil causing it in the past, it may be that the oil needs to be changed more frequently or the leaks fixed.

You probably need to replace the noisy lifters and reseal the cam towers.

Another option is to add MMO or seafoam to your oil....or ATF if it's sticking rather than warn.

Well it's been awhile since I did the oil change about 4,000 or so miles ago.

Also cam towers = gasket covers?

I had noisy hydraulic lifters on my '93 wagon (as well as just about every VW I've ever owned). I fixed the problem by cleaning out all the oil passages in the rocker arm assemblies and cleaning out the lifters by pumping them up repeatedly in a jar of kerosene. Some of the components have very small oilways that can clog easily. It was obvious right off which lifters were causing the problems because they were squishy when I took them out. The only parts this requires is new valve cover gaskets, unless yours are still in good enough shape as to not leak.

The problem can also be caused by a lack of oil pressure to the rocker arms. The culprit here is often that O-ring between the engine block and the oil pump. This is easy enough to replace and gasket kits are available at the local supply stores. I've used both the paper gaskets that come with the oil pump gasket kits and the factory anaerobic sealant method (not at the same time) - they both seem to work fine. One note: It's not necessary to remove the radiator to gain access to the timing components and the oil pump, just take off the cooler fans.

You might also try using Seafoam. The stuff does seem to work well at removing offensive gunk. If the oil holes on the lifters or rockers are partially blocked by some buildup you might get lucky.

Well it's been awhile since I did the oil change about 4,000 or so miles ago.

4,000? Are you running synthetic?

If not it's time to change it.

Your post stands clear by its merit. Many do here. I just happened to be here when it appeared and I figure it can't hurt anything by recognising this.

Wha...??

I do about 2,500 - 3,000 in the soob. I honestly don't keep close track of the mileage I change it when it starts to look bad, but I know it's not more than 3,000. I run the soob on Valvoline Maxlife synthetic blend.

My Lincoln gets Amsoil full synthetic and I run 15k on that with a filter change in the middle. :grin:

I do about 2,500 - 3,000 in the soob. I honestly don't keep close track of the mileage I change it when it starts to look bad, but I know it's not more than 3,000. I run the soob on Valvoline Maxlife synthetic blend.

My Lincoln gets Amsoil full synthetic and I run 15k on that with a filter change in the middle. :grin:

wow.. 2,500 for the trips I'd do I need to find stores that still have cases of oil...

I used to buy them at walmart but they dont seem to have them anymore.

Changed the oil before the T-storm (it was raining when I changed it) so far they have gone back into hiding :)

I did make a note when I changed the oil so I can have at least some set routine going on here.

If I ever change these I would need a total of 16 of them right?

Edited by 1-3-2-4