Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82t almost no oil pressure

just resealed my oil pump all three seals and now i dont have oil pressure when warm and only goes to about 45 when first started. does the relief valve spring add pressure or is it the 14mm hollow check valve tube in the cam case add pressure. i have a pretty good lifter tick most the time but comes and goes with engine speed and idleing for a bit.

I just finished a ea81 rebuild. Had nice oil pressure, then I drove to the end of my driveway to get the mail and the oil pres. dropped to 0. I had to rev up to 5grand to get 25lbs. Drove it back to the house, and found that the New Oil Filter was still empty, and the oil in the crankcase smelled like Gas. Put new oil in it and in the filter, and got all good pressure, all the time. Still need to test drive.

im running 10w30 ive always ran that but just about a few months ago it was ticking on and off then i put a new mickey mouse gasket on but the dealer didnt order me a oring but i got the shaft seal but never put it on cuz it looked hard to do. then after about 2000 miles of ticking (i didnt want to waste the new oil to put the other gaskets on) I did the oil pump oring and shaft seal left the mickey mouse on there still cuz it looked new and put my gtx 10w30 and a pure one oil filter started up nice and quiet till warm then it ticked but not as bad and wasnt getting as much oil pressure as before doing any of the seals. so do i need to run like 20w50 and maybe do my seals again they all looked great when i put them on and it doesnt leak from the pump. or could it be the relief valve spring going bad or stuck open?

Did you inspect the pump internals for damage or wear?

To get rid of the lifter ticking - it's entirely possible that you will have to replace the lifters and the cam tower o-rings.

Seals are not the only part of this equation. Lifters are not designed to operate for long periods with air in them. It creates a condtion where when allowed to tick they wear to an extent that simple seal replacements are not enough and the lifters themselves have to be changed in order for them to inflate properly.

GD