Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I drive a 92 legacy l auto trans When im on the freeway goin about 70 my car shifts and then it will drop gears and rise up to about 3 grand from about 2500 or it wont even shift in to OD so it just is around 3grand all the time!! I checked the trans fluid and it is in the right place and everything... HELPPPP :(

Those rpms sound about right for crusing at that speed in top gear. How you say about the rpm's fluctuating sounds like maybe the torque converter is not locking up, but in that case you should be getting a flashing AT light telling you it has detected a problem with the lockup duty solenoid.

im not sure i know when im going 70 it will be at about 2500 then all of a sudden it drops gears and you see it jump to 3 grand and when i turn on my car the green power light lights up more then 8 tiems the manual says i need to have it looked at to tel me what is wrong but i really dont want to take it to a dearlship to tell me i need to change something lol besides i trust most people on here then i would one of them

the blinking power light at start up means there is an AT trouble code, i think. i'm not 100% because i'm a 95 - 99 guy, not 91. but in my lego a blinking AT Temp light at start up means there is a trouble code. my guess is it 's you torque converter lock up solenoid. b ut you can read the code and see . do a search for how to read trans trouble codes.

I had similar problem, when I owned a 91 Leggie, while I was on a road trip. Then suddenly a dash idiot light came on that said AT fluid was hot. I pulled off the freeway, turned motor off, and waited a few minutes. Started motor drove away, but trany would not no longer shift out of second gear. Rather then repair the trany, I traded the car for a newer Outback.

Suggest changing trany fluid, but don't drop the trany pan. If no improvement, suggest you replace trany with a used one from a wrecking yard. Getting your trany repaired would be too costly.

The stuck in 2nd gear would be it going into limp home mode. If the TCU detects a problem where it doesn't think it can correctly operate the transmission anymore it just locks it into 2nd so that the vehicle can at least still be driven and not just leave you stranded.

Be careful with transmission repair shops, many of them seem shady at best and many times they just make the problem worse or don't even end up fixing it at all. Or they 'rebuild' the trans and then it has other issues afterwards.

Also if you do ready your codes and it does turn out to be the torque converter lockup solenoid you could conceivably just drive it like that if it doesn't bother you too much. Your mileage might suffer a bit but it is not really a mission critical solenoid.

Edited by porcupine73