Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 GL fwd Ea82 tranny question

Is this an automatic or manual?

If it's an automatic it will be a 3 speed. I have one from an '87 that was working great when pulled. Your's for the price of a 12 pack of Rolling Rock.....

If it's a manual then you are looking at probably a clutch job. Which isn't too bad. I do them for $100 flat rate (plus parts) on the EA's. It's a pull-the-engine part way out job. I can have them done in 3 to 4 hours minus the time to resurface the flywheel.

GD

Well its a fwd auto and i'd gladly buy you a 12 pack for it. Is it very hard to swap the tranny? And I noticed your up in Portland so your not to far away from me. I'm down here in Mt. Angel about an hour south...

Edited by OREchipmunk78
Forgot to add something

It's not the most fun job - basically a bunch of wallowing around on the ground if you don't have a lift. I highly reccomend investing in an $80 tranny jack from harbor frieght to do any of the Subaru automatic's - they are heavy suckers and awkward to try and lift into place without the right tool. I've done a number of transmission swaps before I got one and I will not willingly go back to bench-pressing Subaru transaxles off my chest and into cars :rolleyes:.

This is not your typical Honda FWD transverse transmission - these are BIG heavy things. Think RWD GM automatic - about 75% as large as a turbo hydro-matic.

Or you can fold some green into my pocket and I'll gladly do the dirty work for you. :)

GD

Likely going to be around $150 plus fluid (two gallons of ATF). Figure about 4 hours and my rate is $35/Hr. Have to get the car up on stands, remove the exhaust, wrestle the tranny out and the new one in place..... etc.

An excelent time to do axles or boots if needed since they have to come off the tranny anyway.

GD