Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi folks...i'm looking for some advice. Its time to move on from my 99 Outback and have found a 05 Forester XT. I've included a link:

http://www.scammellautosales.ca/used-inventory/vehicle-details.htm?vehicleId=b023763a0a0a0065013ec758e436f154

Anything in particular I should be looking at? How is the longevity of the turbo engine? I've been looking around and the price looks decent based on the condition and mileage...but I thought I would ask the experts. The mileage is in KM.

Thanks!

mark

Hi folks...i'm looking for some advice. Its time to move on from my 99 Outback and have found a 05 Forester XT. I've included a link:

http://www.scammellautosales.ca/used-inventory/vehicle-details.htm?vehicleId=b023763a0a0a0065013ec758e436f154

Anything in particular I should be looking at? How is the longevity of the turbo engine? I've been looking around and the price looks decent based on the condition and mileage...but I thought I would ask the experts. The mileage is in KM.

Thanks!

mark

are you sure you want to buy a car from SCAM-ME-ll auto sales?? :eek:

turbo engines are holding up quite well to normal use :lol:

turbo's in general don't age as well as non-turbo's - they have more failure points - more clamps, hoses, the turbo itself, cooling and oiling lines, etc and generate more heat. not a big deal until you start talking about 10, 15, 20 years old or high mileage.

a significant maintenance item is coming in a couple years. timing belt replacement is 105,000 miles and runs about $700 for replacing the belt at Subaru. prices escalate when water pump or a pulley also gets replaced at the same time - which is wise since the next interval isn't until 200,000 miles and they're right behind the timing belt. t-belt is a must replace item as they are interference engines.

the car is due for a major maintenance interval at 96,000 km - coolant replacement, plugs, air cleaner, brake fluid replacement, inspect timing belt.

they probably saw a huge maintenance bill and got rid of the car.

The dealer name certainly does raise a reg flag...hehe.

grossgary...that is great info you mentioned regarding the maintenance that is due now. The dealer told me that the car was acquired from an out of province subaru dealer. He mentioned he could provide me service records, so i will have a look at that. Checking the Canadian used car price guide, it is about $1000 under what the suggested retail is...so that could explain the lower price on it.

I just had a look at it yesterday and will be taking it for a test drive this evening.

Thanks again for the information!!!

Mark

In general:

Try to avoid used car dealers. A private party sale from the original owner is usually the best way to go.

Don't buy a turbo engine unless you need it. Everything is more critical on turbo engines, even simple oil changes. Do you like spending extra for high octane gas? And you never will want to tow anything with your Forester, will you? A Forester with NA 2.5L has plenty of power. Subaru turbos seem to have a pretty good rep, but they're still not as reliable as the plain vanilla NA 2.5L engine.

• 3 years later...

I have a 2005 Forester XT.  Love the pick up...love the ride, but tired of paying for premium gas, and synthetic oil changes.  Am thinking of selling it.  I bought it brand spanking new and fully loaded for approx $50,000.  Willowdale Subaru.    I've had all the scheduled maintenance done...Anyone interested in buying this?  I'm in the Yonge and Finch area and will be sad to see this baby go...but I'm not able to keep it up.  Just retired...on pension.  my email address is zavacapa@gmail.com if you're interested.  Car is in immaculate condition with new snow tires on rims...  storing all seasons in the garage.