Ultimate Subaru Message Board

gas tank leak, replacement???

I don't think that is the right tank, it looks like the one out of the ea82. if it is out of an ea82 it doesn't fit between the rails the brats tank originally sat, I believe it's quite a bit wider. Also the brat's fuel gauge sending unit sits in the back of the tank. I got a recoating kit for my tank in my 82 wagon and it has worked awesome so far, if you don't have a ton of rust on the inside or huge holes it can be done pretty easily.

That's an EA82 tank ('85 to '87 carbs are EA82's) - I just pulled one recently and it looks the same. It will not fit an EA81 (including all Brat's). Notice how the sending unit is on the top? They are on the back of EA81 tanks. That one is too large and completely setup wrong as it's for an EA82 wagon, etc.

What you need is a tank for an '84. When searching for Brat or Hatchback parts that are of the '85 to '89 vintage you have to search for '84 parts as those are carryover bodies from the previous gen.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Find a used tank (any EA81 tank from a 4WD non-hatchback) or remove your's and have it repaired. It's a pretty standard type of deal - take it to a radiator/tank repair shop and see what they can do. There are sealers, etc that can seal pin-holes and stop rust, etc - tank still has to be removed and cleaned to use them so it's got to come out of the car either way. First step is to pull it and assess from there.

GD