Ultimate Subaru Message Board

is there a difference in the caliper???

You need to specify that you have a Brat when you post here - for ALL intents and purposes of discussion on this board you have an '84 model year. If you say '85 it will just cause confusion and problems.

That said, you need to order calipers for an '84. Older are different and will not work. The ONLY year calipers that you can use are '84 or later EA81 models. Which means you have to specify '84 in most parts systems as they don't list much for '85 to '89 EA81's and you are VERY likely to get EA82 parts which will not fit.

GD

Thanks GD

Its weird how they did that, i restored 1983 Brat a couple of years ago and now i have a 85 and people have got me thinking that stuff are different and .....

Everything Thing Is The Same hahahahaha

By the way General Disorder, ...... your not an rump roast

Thanks GD

Its weird how they did that, i restored 1983 Brat a couple of years ago and now i have a 85 and people have got me thinking that stuff are different and .....

Everything Thing Is The Same hahahahaha

By the way General Disorder, ...... your not an rump roast

I think the rotors for 83 were solid but 84-87 (ea-81)had vented rotors ,, and the calipers were opened to accept the wider vented rotors .

best to ask for 84 parts that way you get vented style parts , and not ea-82 parts.

You best bet is to pull the part needing to be replaced and finding the factory part number on it (if readable after years of service). If you ever order parts I would suggest partsgeek.com. I'm still very new to old Subarus but that website has very good descriptions of what parts are for various models with slight differences. For example, I have a EA82 turbo and I just ordered all of my ignition tune up parts there and they had all of the turbo specific components listed correctly. I starting using them versus my local Napa as they were giving me incorrect parts.

It was a mid-year change so late 83's are vented and early are solid. There's unforutunately no way to tell without measureing them. They pretty much look alike and the difference in size is only about 1/4" so it's hard to tell from pictures.

80 to 83.5 are solid (my '83 hatch with a production date of 05/83 was solid before I switched it over) and 83.5 to 89 are vented.

If you need a set of solid rotor caliper brackets I have some - and you can just buy new solid rotors and make it work with the calipers you bought if they were a screaming deal or something....:rolleyes:

Otherwise the vented are better as they don't warp as easily. But if you aren't hard on brakes then either is fine. They both stop equally well. Mine were warped and I had a set of vented hardware and calipers laying around so I just rebuilt the calipers and bought a new set of vented rotors for $25 a peice. Works like a champ.

GD

I kinda thought that would be the case.. I found out the hard way that when you mention brakes and 83 everything is for vented my car is listed as 83 but it's got solids. Very frustrating week and a half before WCSS when I have to keep going back up the auto parts store to try and match things up and have it sent from one location to another. 1 week to do a 2 hour job. I was going to freak if I had to drive the stupid pick up again.

Glad I spotted this one. I have an 83 with solid rotors. Was not aware that they switched mid year. I would hope the parts guy would ask for a production date. But knowing my luck I would have gotten vented, and they would have been an ordered part. :rolleyes:

Should just swap over.