Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat transmission compatibility help, please

xman

I have a solid condition 86 Brat that needs a new gearbox, it shifts into 3rd but there is no engagement of the gears at all.

It has the 4 speed dual range in it now and I would love to put in a 5 speed dual range.

My questions are:

1- Would I have to change out the shifters if going to 5sp dual range? (I'd rather not)

2- what gearbox should I be looking for? (ie. what model to reference on eBay)

I can easily do the work myself and just want to make sure i get the right parts so that I can do this once.

thanks.

I have a solid condition 86 Brat that needs a new gearbox, it shifts into 3rd but there is no engagement of the gears at all.

It has the 4 speed dual range in it now and I would love to put in a 5 speed dual range.

My questions are:

1- Would I have to change out the shifters if going to 5sp dual range? (I'd rather not)

No....well it will look factory anyway if you do it right. You will use the 5 speed gear shifter but you can just use the 4 speed EA81 knob so it looks identical. And the 4WD shifter is easily modified to work with the 5 speed. Just add 1" to the rod and attach it to the 5 speed.

2- what gearbox should I be looking for? (ie. what model to reference on eBay)

'85 to '89 wagon/sedan/coupe non-turbo GL 4WD 5 speed D/R.

GD