Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Right, the hash marks are for the timing. Ignore the arrows. Those arrows are for other purposes. The good news is that engine is not interference (if it's the '90 2.2L or 1.8L); engines after 96 would have bent valves now if cranked over timed with the arrows instead of the hash marks.

You don't need a timing gun for this job. There is no way for you to adjust the timing anyway; the ECU is in complete control of the timing on that engine.

If there is any question about the cam sprockets, compare the backs of the two. See if the reluctor marks are the same - these are the metal bits the cam position sensor reads. Ideally they should be identical.

Sorry about that I saw someone mention arrows and I assumed they meant the arrows on the camshaft sprockets. The crank sprocket has a little hash mark that gets lined up with a mark on the oil pump. Here's a pic from my '96. I'm not sure if the crank sprocket has an arrow on it anywhere; I can't remember.

cranksprocket-96at.jpg