Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Very Loud TOD after T-belt job and engine reseal

I just got done doing the T-belts and resealing the oilpump and front engine oil seals on my 92 loyale. I also changed the spark plugs. I was letting the car idle in the driveway everything is going good until the engine warms up and a super loud TOD starts up that you can hear form down the block. I've let is sit and cool down and started up again but the TOD is as loud as ever. The oil pressure gauge on the dash is reading well above 45. I think perhaps I may need a new oil pump or the new seals on the oil pump didn't sit right. I Is there anything else I should check before ripping the car apart again?

Why did you reseal it? That implies preventative maintenance or previous issues - one means something different than the other for diagnosing this.

What he said - if it was completely noise-less before the work then the seals are borked or something. If you have to do it again get Subaru seals. I've pulled a couple oil pumps with relatively new seals and the

mickey mouse gasket has a tendency to swell and be difficult to reuse, it doesn't want to stay in place. So plan on using a new one if you take it apart.

If you were trying to fix issues you previously had, I and others have had new oil pumps (or known good non-ticking pumps) solve TOD.

Also - how long did the car sit? Sometimes they just take a while if oil is drained out of the system and the HLA's bleed down. Most folks think their engines are blowing up or somethign catastrophic happened after a head gasket job because they're so loud. 10-20 miles of driving and they quiet right up. Shouldn't be that big of a deal on just a reseal, but who knows.

This was mostly a preventative maintenance job. The car has 175K miles and I was doing T-belts and the Water Pump so I did the seals as well. It sat without oil for about a week and it took about 5 min of idling before the TOD started.

I have had TOD in the past but nothing major and only intermittent. I did use Genuine subaru seals everywhere.

As far as the oil pump condition I don't have the tools to take the measurements called for the the FSM. I visually inspected the inner and outer rotors and didn't notice any problems. The shaft of the inner rotor was warn where it goes through the seal just under the pulley.

I did not touch the lifters or cam towers other than replacing the o-ring and seals where the timing belt pulleys sit.

I pulled the oil pump off and the micky mouse gasket was a little swollen and defiantly is not reusable. Perhaps after the first reseal the car ran fine for a few minuets than the gasket slipped out of place causing the loud TOD after 5 minuets of idling?

So now I'm trying to decide if i need to replace the oil pump and I came up with a few questions. I'd rather not spend the $100+ for a pump I don't need

1: Does a new pump come with new inner and outer rotors?

2: Is the only way to determine if you need a new pump to measure the rotors?

3: Since the micky mouse gasket didn't seal the first time is there something wrong with the pump or was there user error?