Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ratchet driver for diff. plugs & transaxle, 2000 Forester

what ratchet driver is used to remove/replace the fill & drain plugs for the rear differential? and is there anything other than a metric socket for the manual transaxle drain? also, I can't seem to see the transaxle dip stick/fill tube, which is supposed to be on the right side of the engine compartment; I don't even recall seeing it when I tore the engine apart last winter to replace the head gaskets... but then, I was more concerned about getting the engine back together... I assume to get to the fill tube the air cleaner needs to be removed, but I'm mystified why I don't see it just behind the engine on the passenger side???

You might be assuming that the dipstick is there. Previous owners sometimes take them out and forget to put them back. Or the o-ring shrinks on them for the front diff and sometimes they will jump out if you hit hard bumps.

The drain plugs take just 1/2" breaker bar. You can get 1/2" pipe plug socket if desired; this is mainly helpful if using an impact wrench on the plugs since impact wrenches tend to have a rounded end with an e-clip or similar on them.

pipeplugsocket1.jpg

22mm sounds correct for the MT/front diff drain. It's the same size as the crank pulley bolt.

what ratchet driver is used to remove/replace the fill & drain plugs for the rear differential? and is there anything other than a metric socket for the manual transaxle drain? also, I can't seem to see the transaxle dip stick/fill tube, which is supposed to be on the right side of the engine compartment; I don't even recall seeing it when I tore the engine apart last winter to replace the head gaskets... but then, I was more concerned about getting the engine back together... I assume to get to the fill tube the air cleaner needs to be removed, but I'm mystified why I don't see it just behind the engine on the passenger side???
I just use the 1/2" ratchet that I have; no socket needed needed for the rear diff. Transmission dip tube and filler access is on the passenger side as you said, but you have to look DOWN; it's not sticking up in the air like you would expect. I used a long necked funnel to fill the transmission last time I changed the gear oil.

By the way, remove the fill plug on the diff first and then the drain plug to change the gear oil. Nothing worse than draining the diff and discovering you can't get the fill plug out!

Thanks to both of you for the tips! Nothing I need to buy as I have a 1/2" socket wrench as well as a torque wrench, and a 22mm socket from doing the head gaskets. I will definitely remove the diff fill plug 1st! and remove the air filter housing so I can look for the trans dip tube. hopefully the dipstick is still there, I'm guessing if it isn't I should get a new one as it seems that would be an inlet for contaminants...

hopefully the dipstick is still there, I'm guessing if it isn't I should get a new one as it seems that would be an inlet for contaminants...
Pull a part is your friend if you have one near you. Should be the same dipstick for lots of model years as long as it's a 5MT transmission.

You probably still have the dipstick; it's just very difficult to see. Here's a pic of the one in my 1999 Forester:

picture.php?albumid=17&pictureid=2609

The dipstick ring is that shiny curved thing just below the blue connector and above the smaller corrogated tubing. My dipstick ring is black; I don't understand why they didn't make it yellow like the engine oil dipstick. I had to take 10 pics before I got the light just right to see it. The real trick is getting it back into the hole after you change the gear oil.

wow ok no wonder I can't see it. thanks for the photo, def looks like removing the air filter housing is a must, no big deal. No Pull a parts here in upstate (western/central) NY, closest is in Ohio from their web site; have Auto Zone & Advance Auto plus the other standard nation wide outlets & local. At least I don't feel like I'm losing my mind anymore trying to find that dipstick!

Wow that is hard to see. That's pretty much how buried it is on my 2000 Outback too, starting that year there are those wiring harnesses that run right above the stick that didn't used to be there. Yours isn't yellow for some reason either which makes it harder to see. The others I've seen the stick always has a yellow end.

If you do need a stick just post in the parts wanted section on here, there's people parting out soobs regularly and you could probably pick one up for a few $. Since it's a small part shipping wouldn't be very much either.

wow ok no wonder I can't see it. thanks for the photo, def looks like removing the air filter housing is a must, no big deal. No Pull a parts here in upstate (western/central) NY, closest is in Ohio from their web site; have Auto Zone & Advance Auto plus the other standard nation wide outlets & local. At least I don't feel like I'm losing my mind anymore trying to find that dipstick!
You're correct about removing the air filter housing. I think I managed to replace the gearoil in my Impreza without doing that, but it was a pain. It's also a bit of a pain to remove the air filter housing but that's the way it goes.

If you do need a dipstick, I can probably find one for you locally (we have 3 PAP yards within 40 miles of here). The real difficulty is finding a late '90s Forester which has a 5MT.

PHEW! DONE! did the diff 1st, using my 1/2" ratchet worked great, with a bit of help from banging a rubber mallet on the handle to loosen both plugs. Fortunately I had a qt gear oil bottle with a pump that made it easy to fill the rear diff (it was way low on oil so glad I did it) WOW the transaxle dip stick is a PAIN to get to, did remove the air filter housing which really isn't too bad having done the head gaskets earlier in the year and almost everything was taken apart; thanks for the photo edrach, that helped a lot. But the drain plug came out fine (though the bolt seemed like maybe a 21mm, as my 22mm was slightly loose on it) and I did manage to get the dipstick out, and had to use a lawn equipment funnel (narrow long neck) and a regular funnel into that to refill without spilling oil everywhere. The handle was black, but turned yellow after I got all the grease off of it :). Refilled and it's all good. Thanks to everyone for the help & tips! Happy Labor Day! Time to veg & watch TV :banana:

My dipstick ring is black; I don't understand why they didn't make it yellow like the engine oil dipstick.

You sure it's black and not just covered in dirt/grease? Mine was black 'til I hit it with some brakleen.

I guess the newer cars are a bit more difficult. I just reach between the firewall and the intake tube and then under the main engine wire harness and it's pretty much a straight shot to the dipstick. To fill I cram a long transmission funnel between the AC line and intake tube, then around the wire harness and right into the fill tube and it fits like a glove.

PHEW! DONE! did the diff 1st, using my 1/2" ratchet worked great, with a bit of help from banging a rubber mallet on the handle to loosen both plugs. Fortunately I had a qt gear oil bottle with a pump that made it easy to fill the rear diff (it was way low on oil so glad I did it) WOW the transaxle dip stick is a PAIN to get to, did remove the air filter housing which really isn't too bad having done the head gaskets earlier in the year and almost everything was taken apart; thanks for the photo edrach, that helped a lot. But the drain plug came out fine (though the bolt seemed like maybe a 21mm, as my 22mm was slightly loose on it) and I did manage to get the dipstick out, and had to use a lawn equipment funnel (narrow long neck) and a regular funnel into that to refill without spilling oil everywhere. The handle was black, but turned yellow after I got all the grease off of it :). Refilled and it's all good. Thanks to everyone for the help & tips! Happy Labor Day! Time to veg & watch TV :banana:
Good job; now you can rest for the remainder of the holiday. I think you're correct in that the tranny drainplug is a 21mm and not 22.