Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lifting a legacy

Fairtax4me

So heres the plan. I got OB struts so I can fit 205 70 15 tires on the legacy. (snow trakkers = Stuck?! What's that mean? :grin: )

But I want just a hair more than the 1" from the struts. I'm trying to come up with a simple spacer for the top of the strut to get another 1" or so of lift. But I'm not sure what to use. I've looked around for something ready-made and the best I can come up with for lifts are 2, 3, and 4 inch kits that look nice but I don't want it quite that tall... yet. :grin: Nothing in the way of a 1 - 1.5" like I'm looking for.

Anybody have any ideas? Or know of a place that makes something that might be what I need?

1" is going to be tricky, because basically the spacers, the strut mount 'top hat' mounts to the spacer, then the spacer mounts where the strut mount goes. Since the studs on the strut mount stick up probably 3/4" above the fender already doing a 1" spacer seems like it would be tricky. There is someone on here that makes these kits, maybe he could fab something up for you. Or if you want a little extra, maybe some lift springs along with the Outback struts.

There are cast aluminim 1" spacers available.

It might be those jackson rally ones.

I have 1.5" spacers and the strut mounting stud sticks above them. I just took a torch and cut a hole in the top plate of the spacers that is the same size of the hole in the original strut mount on the car.

I'm sure one of the lift makers here could modify a set to work for you.

That's what I need! Just without the price tag. :lol: But that's probably what I'll end up doing. I found something that I think might work for the rears, but the front is tough because of the room around the mount. A plain round spacer would work, but finding just the right size without having to do a bunch of cutting/reshaping to make it work is the tricky part. I don't want to spend $100 on a couple spacers to have to hack them up and make them fit.

Think the JR spacers should fit a 96 Legacy? I don't know how different Impreza and Legacy struts are. I see they have some for the 1st and 2nd gen Forrester as well.

Edit: I guess I should find out if they'll fit 99 outback struts. That's the more important part. I can drill holes in the car if I need to.

Edited by Fairtax4me

• 6 months later...

Heres some 1 inch spacers for ya, i dont know if theyre to ur liking or not but i read ur post and i seen these on another forum a while back.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45893

Edit: sorry i forgot that they were for the first gens and u have a second gen, but u might be able to work with it. If anything u might get some ideas

Edited by ShagginWagon

Any of the top hats, both front and rear, for a 93-01 Impreza will work on a 96-99 Legacy and the 98-99 Forester. Heres a fitment chart for the fronts in case you want more clarification. Hope this helps. Since I have a 97 BG I know a lot of what parts fit what in this generation.

Front - http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MSM0/FM1107.oap?pt=02953&ppt=C0035

Rear - http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MSM0/FM1258.oap?pt=02953&ppt=C0035 (This just shows for the right rear but left is the same for fitment)