Ultimate Subaru Message Board

have 2002 legacy gt 5spd. earlier in the summer it started running bad. i changed the fuel filter did not help. thought it was the fuel pump had a pressure tested and had 63psi. what is doing is when it is cold it seems to run fine as soons as it gets up to temperator is starts to miss. when it gets up to temp in 1st gear it is fine. shift to 2nd it is terrible misses bad and have to go back into 1st. the check engine light was off until i changed the plug wires did that not help. put a differant coil on it still no good. had friend come over with his scanner and it showed misfire on all 4 cyls. and idled around 600rpm. tried a differant throttle position sensor and no good in the original position. had to turn it to get the idle up to around 800rpm. when the scanner was plugged in after hitting the throttle the rpms when to 2600rpm and timing advance to 33 then fell back to around 800 but the scanner still shows 2600rpm for a little while longer the fell back and the timing same way. could the crank sensor be bad or maybe the computor.the last thing i want to do is have to take it to the stealership to get this problem taken care of.

Spark plugs and wires?

Ignition wires on this engine should be Subaru - I've seen aftermarket wires cause your exact issues, not even drivable, even brand new right out of the box. These EJ engines are not forgiving for some reason.

Also check the igniter, swap out another one, it's the black box on the rear of the engine bay around the middle, just behind the throttle body, above the trans dipstick but more middle of the engine. you can see it with the hood popped. That would affect all 4 cylinders.

you are correct. 95k on car and plugs are original. check engine light was off until i put the new plug wires on 2 weeks ago. that is when it started running worse. been having trouble all summer with it. autohousaz shows ngk oem for $43. http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=3k22qqmcf1apdlfq5pgt0hry&makeid=13@Subaru&modelid=399~39~87~13~~5~6@Legacy GT &year=2002&cid=14@Ignition&gid=7228@Spark Plug Wire Set

Edited by greenstang

you are correct. 95k on car and plugs are original. check engine light was off until i put the new plug wires on. that is when it started running worse. been having trouble all summer with it. autohousaz shows ngk oem for $43.

Why do you not want the genuine Subaru wires which are known to work well on soobs? The aftermarket wires even NGK may be suspect. Magnecor wires seem to be the only ones I've heard are usually ok as well. The genuine wires are SOA430Q119 WIRE SET, IGNITION FOR 2000-2003 LEGACYS (non H6) and Subaru dealers who sell online will sell these for around $40 a set, so it's even a little lower price than the aftermarket options. Subaru genuine parts are not always way out there on price, they are actually often very competitive, plus they in general are good quality parts that work and fit well.

O2 sensor sounds likely.

If changing plug wires made it worse then you need to change back. Worse means they are no good.

Also check for vacuum leaks.

Fuel pressure was 63 psi at the rail? Should be around 40-42 IIRC. I'll have to check on that but 63 sounds way too high to me. Bad FPR, or the vacuum hose to the FPR is broken/split are possibilities as well.

Edited by Fairtax4me

You don't have to make a special trip to the dealer. If you were going to order the NGK wires online, you can order Subaru parts from dealers selling online just as easily. And often it's a lower price than what the local dealer charges unless you have some connections there. Places stating 'OEM' parts are tricky, because it does not necessarily mean it is the genuine original part.

• 2 weeks later...

put in the eom wire and new ngk plugs. started rite up ran smooth thinking it was fixed boy was i wrong. just as soon as i left the driveway i could tell it was not rite. drove around the block got it up to temp it started stumbling again. starting out on a small grade in front of the house it not want to go. got back in the driveway idle was low and not running very good. to sit there and accelerate the rpm's go up. let the clutch out put it under a load falls flat on its face and will not go. check engine lite is off now that it has oem wires on it and di not come on at ll today. usually when the o2 sensors went bad the light came on. i have access to another computer maybe i should try it. it has to be something simple i just do not know what.

I would see if the CEL/MIL illuminates after making 3-4 more 'trips'. Some codes don't throw right away, so there might be one or more codes pending that will throw if they reoccur on the next 2-4 drive cycles.

Say how many miles are on her? She might need a compression test to see what's going on. Maybe the timing has jumped a tooth or something.

Drop in a used ignitor - they can and do go bad resulting in misfire.

Basically it sounds like either you are running lean, or you have a weak spark.

Clean the MAF, and check the output of the front O2 sensor - could be reading rich and leaning out the mixture - the fact that it only happens once warm is a good clue - the O2 only starts reporting after it reaches a specific exhaust temperature. Below that the ECU runs in "open loop" mode because it has no O2 sensor with which to indicate mixture.

GD

• 6 months later...