Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need to move my car while doing engine work? Can I do that?

Hi, I'm replacing the head gaskets on my legacy GT and I have everything removed to where I can access the head. Timing belt off and intake manifold off. Can I push the car back like this and then pull it up again to continue work once the parts get here? Need to use that part of my shop... It's in neutral, so I don't see why not, but they say not to move the car while working on it. Thanks.

Is the engine still in the vehicle? If it's still mated to the trans I don't think there's much risk in moving it a few feet. Esp if it's an MT just have her in neutral. An AT can be rolled a short distance. If the engine is removed I'd just make sure there's no components that could drop off during the rolling, like having say the torque converter fall off would be bad just as an example. Not that it would just fall off but it's those little details that always bit us.

The risk in rolling if the engine is still installed I'm thinking would be if for some reason the crank rotates you might end up bumping the pistons into the valves.

Thee auto really shouldn't rotate the crank when rolled since there's no line pressure to activate any of the clutches anyway. If you can find the access cover for the flywheel you might be able to jam a small prybar or something in there just to be on the safe side. Here's a pic of something jammed in there but it is on a 2.2L:

blockcrank-96-1.jpg

Very simple. Put trans in neutral, remove all tools/screws/bits that can fall and get lost or lodged in a tire, push car. :grin:

Like porcupine said, neutral on an auto trans is just like neutral in a manual, it'll free spin no problem.

You could even put it in drive or reverse if you want. No line pressure (the pump isn't turning) means none of the clutches or bands will be engaged so no transfer of motion from the output shaft to the input shaft.

And at that, if there is any, the torque converter won't transfer any movement of the input shaft to the flywheel anyway. Not at Fred Flintstone style propulsion speeds at least. :lol: