Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am about to delve into a transmission rebuild project for my 97 impreza's 5MT. I am not sure what to expect when I get inside there, but was curious on where to get replacement parts if I need new synchros or really anything for that matter (besides the stealership). I will be rebuilding the entire drivetrain for a class (front and rear diffs, transmission) and will try and keep the thread updated if information from time to time.

What is wrong with it? Chances are it's just some bearings if it's still driving.

The cost of the parts is prohibitively expensive unless it's just one or two bearings, the seals, and some RTV/gaskets. Otherwise it's MUCH cheaper just to source a used tranny.

As for where to get parts - other than the dealer your choices are very limited. For seals and bearings you can try all the bearing suppliers in town - give them the numbers and any branding on the bearings and see if they can get them. Very likely the dealer will be the only source for most of them. Bearings for this type of application are VERY often custom and built in quantities of thousands and shipped directly to the transmission factory - in the case of the 5MT's Jatco I beleive. All you can do is call around and see what can be had on the open market. Or just pay the dealer as you are sure to get the right thing. Bearing houses might lead you astray - bearing numbering and specifications can be very tricky and tough to match.

GD

http://guibo.com/~guibo/subaru_doc/Impreza_2006/Transmission/5MT%20Manual%20Trans%20&%20Diff.pdf

Just stumbled upon this handy little PDF file.

I think I'm open my 5mt 4wd and take a shot at it.

Whats the worst that can happen, Cant drive it like it is. Well, except for reverse.

I took it to the store 1 block away today.....Backwards.

Ahhh, I felt so young and rebellious.

There may be nothing wrong with it, but when it was pulled it was making some humming noises, it jingles in 4th gear, and some of the gears seem like they could shift easier. Since I got to wwu and am in their vehicle design program I am able to access the entire vehicle lab. One of the projects for my class is to do a transmission teardown and rebuild, so instead of using one of theirs I am going to use mine and hopefully benefit from it. Knock on wood nothing is wrong in the transaxle, but if it is, then I will be able to correct it.

Starting teardown tomorrow. Hopefully will get through the casings.

As I said - learning experience it's fine. But don't expect it to be a great deal from a price standpoint - syncros and bearings are VERY expensive for these things. Typically only a few (the one's needed) are replaced and new seals fitted. Otherwise the cost is prohibitive.

They are simple transmissions. Some shafts, gears, bearings, and syncro's. Nothing that anyone with a press and some hand tools couldn't tackle. You don't need a "lab" but it's nice to have lots of toys all the same. Though frankly I feel that having all that stuff just teaches people they need a bunch of special tools for each and every operation - when in reality they just need a little common sense.

GD

The VRI at Western is the shiz. Legend has it that the guy who came up with the Brat's rear seats founded that school. You're in good hands. Your dealership, however, sucked last time I checked. Try to plan ahead and get things from subarugenuineparts.com if at all possible.

Jacob

Pulled the center diff out of the transaxle, will probably break that down tomorrow and inspect all of the teeth ect. So far everything looks good. A good trick (if you would call it a trick) we found for getting the center diff casing off was to take off the top plate and try and tap it off from the inside rather than trying to go from the outside you damage the aluminum edge to easily where the different housings come together.

And there probably is some truth the to brat seats and the founder ledgend. There were a couple big subaru guys who were professors in the VRI (I think there still is one). Some of the stuff they have going on in there is pretty amazing.

I put a floor jack in the bellhousing and pried it apart that way. :lol:

The rear counter shaft roller bearing was the most expensive IIRC at around $135 when I priced it, and that might have been with my discount I don't remember. It's the one with the flange on it that bolts to the case halves.

As I said - learning experience it's fine. But don't expect it to be a great deal from a price standpoint - syncros and bearings are VERY expensive for these things. Typically only a few (the one's needed) are replaced and new seals fitted. Otherwise the cost is prohibitive.

They are simple transmissions. Some shafts, gears, bearings, and syncro's. Nothing that anyone with a press and some hand tools couldn't tackle. You don't need a "lab" but it's nice to have lots of toys all the same. Though frankly I feel that having all that stuff just teaches people they need a bunch of special tools for each and every operation - when in reality they just need a little common sense.

GD

Why do the syncros cost so much? Is the same for every car maker?

No - not everything is this expensive. Service parts for a lot of the older american stuff is dirt cheap. I'm always amazed how cheap parts for my '69 GMC truck are. $300 for a Legacy heater core. The '69 GMC is $39.95 :rolleyes:

I suppose it's just because they don't sell a lot of syncro's and bearings for Subaru transaxles. Not a lot of demand for them so the cost stays up there. That and everyone down the line has to make a profit - Jatco, Subaru, SOA, Dealership, etc, etc. If some company here in the states found a large enough market for these parts and marketed them through local suppliers the cost would be greatly reduced I would imagine.

GD

I guess the easiest way to say it is that people don't often bother to rebuild Subaru transaxles. They aren't the most common things on the road, but they are hardly few and far between either. If one bites the dust, there is an eager replacement awaiting it's return to the open road in a junkyard near you.

Not to mention the complexity of properly rebuilding a transaxle.

It's not like the 4 speed granny low (wanna say the SM465) that Chevy sold for 25 years, and not a thing changed on it. You can buy complete rebuild kits for one of those for $150 shipped to your door.

It's not like the 4 speed granny low (wanna say the SM465) that Chevy sold for 25 years, and not a thing changed on it. You can buy complete rebuild kits for one of those for $150 shipped to your door.

Pretty sure that's the same one in my truck :lol:. Super cheap to work on. If it didn't get around 10 mpg I would drive it daily. :mad:

GD

Going to start in on tearing apart the input shaft and pressing off all of the gears tomorrow, this should be pretty interesting. Going to inspect bearings, count teeth, and calculate gear ratios.

I have pictures of all of the assemblies waiting to get uploaded to my computer.

• 2 weeks later...

Ran into problems on Monday with the input shaft teardown. Apparently there is a specific tool to pull the 5th gear off, which we didn't have and the dealer broke all of theirs. The dealer said to pull on the bearing flange below 5th gear. This resulted in shattering pieces off the flange. We then tried a bearing separator pressing on the outer race of the bearing. This resulted in fracturing the entire outer race. We did however move the bearing enough to create enough room to slip a separator under the 5th gear. We were able to remove it and the woodruff key locking it in place without any other problems.

If you are trying this yourself and want to save your bearing/ be a lot safer you should pursue a tool to remove the 5th gear separately.