Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I think the fuel pump finally died

I was coming back from a gorcery run and the car (EA81 '82 GL wagon) died on me much like running out of gas with less sputter. I tried to restart it a few times, but it would stay running only a few seconds then die. I had a friend listen while I tried to start it and he said he couldn't hear any fuel pump sounds. Is there another way to check if it is operational? Any advice or things to look for when installing the new pump?

Check all your fuses to start with.

Actually put your hand on the pump while someone cranks the engine over. It should be pretty obvious if it's running or not.

First thing is to check for voltage at the pump connector while cranking. If that's good and the pump doesn't run then you have found an issue.

If you have no voltage then start checking the fuel pump control unit located above the hood release handle bracket at your left knee. It needs ignition switched voltage, tach signal, ground, and then feeds power to the pump and some of them also run the choke.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

One of the last great "learner's" cars IMO. In many ways it's actually simpler than my '69 GMC Truck. Frankly I consider myself very lucky to have owned an EA81 as one of my first cars (that wasn't borrowed from the parents). I learned a lot out of neccesity and though I wasn't as accutely aware of it at the time as I am now - the EA81 saved me a lot of headache's through being a very simple and forgiving machine.

GD

After a bit of inspection of the fuel pump and some "magic" (read: wiggled connecters) it started right up. I cleaned the connecters and I hope that will be the end of any fuel problems. I am wondering though, if the control unit is going out, will I have an on-again off-again fuel issue as it continues to fail?