Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Why does my exhaust sound so rough?

MTSuby

I had the timing belts changed and I hoped that my timing was off and would be fixed after the job, but my exhaust is really rough, not smooth at all. Kind of poppy when it's idling. I changed my spark plugs/wires/cap/rotor, and like I said, the timing belts were just done. Where should I start looking? I'm guessing the exhaust shouldn't be so rough, and should more or less just sound somewhat smooth coming out the tailpiece.

Ah, rookie mistake, sorry.

93 Loyale, FI.

That seems right (missing). My idle is rough, when it's warmed up, the car's got a nice shake to it when I'm stopped at a light. About a month ago, I had serious hesitation, rough idle, missing, jerking at acceleration etc. The tune up basically fixed that, but I guess not completely...

So...is it time for the old "spray starting fluid around the intake to look for vacuum leaks"? Or what.

Ok, thanks. Hopefully I'll get around to that soon...I go through phases where I don't feel like being a mechanic. I've been smelling gas a bit lately too like I'm running rich. I guess with a vacuum leak it could be throwing my emissions/fi stuff off? Anyways, I'll let you know what I find.

Some day I'm going to get around to installing that nice shiny Nissan alternator, too....:grin:

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I found some leaks, and I'll take photos later since my manual doesn't really tell me what the hoses are. But they're larger hoses, which have the old style clamps on them. Even after I got new hose clamps and really tightened them down, it's still sucking air...Do I need to replace the hoses? Or what?

Like I said, I'll take photos of what I'm talking about, but I'm pretty sure I found my leaks, and they don't want to seal.

Not specifically - it was a recall(ish?) deal from the early 90's.... you could find all the same parts on a 93/94 Loyale I believe. The kits are pretty cheap from the dealer IIRC - just have them lookup the long, sweeping right hand turn recall kit.... people who complained got it installed for a minimal fee or free I'm sure so I think the cost of the kit from the dealer is negligable....

GD

FYI another spot to check is the intake manifold...when I had a vaccum leak that I couldn't find by chasing the hoses, the breach was actually right where the intake manifold mates with the heads, but just on one side. My intake gaskets were trashed. The leak was so bad that when I was spraying carb cleaner on the top of my intake boot and hoses like that, I would get a change in rpm, so I thought it was coming from the hoses. It took me spraying directly (like an inch away) at the mating location of the head and the intake to discover the actual source. If you end up having to replace intake gaskets, the guys here will agree that the dealer gaskets are MUCH better than the aftermarket ones.