Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Best EJ block to build??

True2Blue

The EJ22 SOHC heads have bigger ports and bigger valves than the EJ18 SOHC heads. The EJ18 heads make more torque in the low to mid rev range but obviously won't flow enough to make more power in the upper rev range.

However, you can only use EJ22 SOHC heads on engines with a bore of 90 or bigger, ie. EJ20 (92 mm) or up as the combustion chamber has a diameter of 90 mm in the heads. That is a bad match on the small EJ18 bore of only 87.9 mm.

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so ej22 heads from a 96+ are best to use regardless of the exhaust port design?..... ive been going through so many different fourms with so many different answers im gettin lost. what series has the ej25d. i googled it got what i thought was the answer and called the local jy's and they had no idea what i was talkin about.. :rolleyes:

a regular set of ej22 (sp sohc) heads and a ej25d sb make a "HC" franken motor... all the pulleys seem to line up from the pics i saw one thing i heard was that the intake is a so so fit.

Another thing i read was a DOHC EJ25 will plug and play in a legacy ecu and all.. True or false?

Another thing i read was a DOHC EJ25 will plug and play in a legacy ecu and all.. True or false?
true and false.

true: a DOHC EJ25 *IS* a legacy motor - so it can plug into some legacy ECU's.

false: an EJ25d will not plug and play in a 2010 Legacy.

question would have to be more specific to give a direct answer.

not quite sure what you're asking but in general 1995-1998 EJ22's and 1996-1998 EJ25D's are completely interchangeable - plug and play. remove one engine, install the other, and it plugs right in.

remove EJ22, install EJ25D, and it'll plug right in and run fine, no wiring or ECU swap needed (there are some mechanical concerns, but that's all simple stuff - ECU and wiring is zero concern for 95-98 EJ22's/EJ25d's.

you can even include EJ18's into the above equations with one extra part to make it possible.

Edited by grossgary

Nice! All this is based around my 1998 subaru legacy Brighton

so a 95-98 ej25d is 100% plug and play.. i might look into that instead of a franken motor swap..

i take that back a 30hp gain can be obtained cheaper and easier if wiki is true then 22e is 135hp and 25d is 165hp

Edited by True2Blue

geo straight 3cyl. naw u know what ID like, and yea theyre expensive, and probably heavy, inconvenient to obtain/install.

an ee20. thatd be a ton of low rpm grunt for acceleration, steep hills, getting out of 18" of mud, breaking those damn parking boots that meter maids put on when you dont pay for parking, etc......

so a 95-98 ej25d is 100% plug and play.. i might look into that instead of a franken motor swap..
yes, all DOHC EJ25D's (96-98 EJ25's and 99 Legacy or Outbacks) will plug and play into your Brighton. remove EJ22, install EJ25 and it plugs and plays and runs. there are a few points to keep in mind though.

you'll need a dual port exhaust header (that otherwise bolts right in place). your EJ22 is single, the EJ25 is dual port, but the exhaust manifolds are otherwise interchangeable, bolts right in place.

your car should have EGR and i think all EJ25's have EGR so that should not be an issue in your case. some EJ22's do not have EGR, which complicates things if you're swapping the other way.

i believe you use the EJ22 flexplate...just keep the EJ22 and bits until you're done in case you need anything off of it. i feel like i've swapped power steering or a/c brackets before so everything lines up neatly, but it's real simple as yo'ure doing it.

Edited by grossgary