Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87' GL DR tranny into 95' Impreza?

abeattie220

yeah adapter plate re-machined flywheel most likely spliced axles rear dif swap, tranny tunnel mod. and i kinda know what i gotta do on the harness for the neutral switch

You forgot custom lengthed driveline.....needs about 2 inches added to teh front section.

i have the whole 87' GL sitting next to the impreza hoping to be able to swap most of it over pedal pack, starter, clutch hardware and what not. i can fab the cross member or at least modify one of the two to work thanks for the info on the drive line, i was planning on swapping the diff out of the gl as well. does that make me able to use the gl drive line? Also think i go tmy hands on a ej22 manual PCM i know it will run the engine but will it work with the gearbox. Got both cars for free, figured id make a weird project out of them

Edited by abeattie220

no need to swap the ECU, they're the same, just has an AT/MT identification pin. besides, the '95 has different ECU pinouts than any other year. and the plug is completely different than the ones on the '90 legacy. Only a '95 ECU will work, and most (if not all) '95 2.2s were autos.

the EA pedal box will not be a direct swap in the impreza. you might be able to modify it to work...I don't know if the spacing of the 4 mounting bolts is the same, but the EA has the gas pedal as part of the box, so you have to drop the steering column to get it out. whereas the EJ has a separate mount/pivot for the gas pedal, making it much easier to swap.

the carrier bearing mount location and shape is different. so you will need to modify the EJ one for length. 2" longer should be perfect.

assuming your car is a 2.2, your rear diff is a 4.111, so you will need to swap it to 3.9. the EA one will physically bolt up into the crossmember and to the driveshaft. you might need to swap the rear mount studs, as I'm fairly sure they're longer on the EJ.

The issue is the axles. I'm pretty sure the impreza axle shafts will have male stubs that go into the diff, whereas the GL is the opposite, and the GL has very different axles on the outsied. first-gen ('90-'94) legacy rears have male stubs on the diff, so axles from one of those would work in your impreza. You might be able to make hybrid axles with the parts you have, but don't count on it. OR, you could get a rear diff from a 2nd gen legacy with the 2.2 and a 5MT.

front axles are also an issue. the axle stubs on the D/R are 23-spline, and your imprezas are 25-spline. Again, you might be able to make some hybrid axles with what you have, or '93-'94 MT imprezas have 23-spline inner axles.

you'll have to jumper the neutral start switch so the car will start (this is true of any MT swap). Also make sure the car is in park when you pull the battery before starting the project....otherwise you'll have a fight to get the key out :lol:

Yea, the '87 won't have a neutral switch. So you'll have to either rig a clutch switch, or live with the CEL being on (what most people do with a MT swap).

There will be a little linkage fabbing. I think the shifter hole in the tunnel is a bit further back relative to the transmission on the impreza, so the linkage might need to be lengthened, and a mount made.

You could get the front transmission crossmember from a legacy 5MT and drill holes in it for the EA tranny mounts.

Exhaust hanger should line right up.

Either speedo cable should work, although IIRC the AT one is shorter.

And the stuff that's already been said. EA82 starter, modified flywheel, and clutch kit (although I'd recommend a stronger XT6 pressure plate, or at least an EA82t one). don't forget to hang onto the flywheel bolts from the EA82, they're the same thread pitch as the EJ, but longer for the MT. adapter plate.

Edited by Numbchux

soooo i can adapt the Auto ECU/PCM whatever u wanna call it to work with the MT?

"adapt" makes it sound way harder than it is.

you don't "need" to do anything to make it work. jumper the neutral start switch so the starter will engage, and it will work great. rpms might drop when you clutch in, but that's about the only actual symptom. and it will cause the CEL to come on.

or....2 wires. ground the AT/MT identification pin, and hook up a neutral switch (which, with an '87 trans will have to be a clutch switch).

and yes he has axles goin to pick up next weekend very exciting. i got the impreza gutted this weekend and the gl 5 spd bolted in with a freshly modded crossmember. once i go pick up the diff ill be done with drive like stuff yippy. still would like to get more infoo on the whole AT/MT ident pin on the computer. also does anyone know what will happen if i just simply remove the airbag control module

anyone know what will happen if i just plain remove my airbag control module. will the air bags just not go off ever or will they develope a mind of there own?

Disconnect the battery for 1/2 hour before hand then you can remove. Although you might need to buy a special "safety" torx head bit to remove it.