Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Greetings everyone,

I am in need of new front brake pads on my 91 Legacy Sports Sedan w/202K.

I want to replace the pads only and need a little advice on which pads to purchase and from where, as well as a few suggestions on how to install.

I have tools and previous experience as a mechanic....a long time ago though.

Any advice much appreciated.

Mike

in my experience subaru's seem to have forgiving brakes and perform well with just about anything. i've seen cheaper pads perform poorly on other makes, but not really subaru's. not that they're "great" pads, or won't wear quickly, but nothing that big of a deal. i prefer ceramics and have used a few different varieties. there's a zillion different brake options. the adaptive ones from NAPA have new clips in them, i like that but they are expensive.

clean the brake pad clips really well (or buy nicer pads that have new clips). and clean and grease the caliper slides. they sell brake caliper grease at the auto parts store. i would just buy the bottle of it as the packs are hardly adequate half the time.

subaru brakes are easy, nothing special to it really:

1. remove wheel.

2. caliper takes 1 or 2 bolts (depending what style you have) to remove.

3. clean slides, regrease them. clean all the metal caliper bracket clips

4. press in caliper piston with a c-clamp (remove the brake fluid reservoir for this step - might be pointless for subaru's but a good practice to have as the fluid needs to go somewhere and if it's a sealed system the master cylinder seals can fail).

install pads, caliper, and you're done.

occasionally the brake pads are manufactured too big (regardless of what brand you buy) and need to be filed down. there are threads about that but it's fairly straight forward.

Edited by grossgary

I use Autozone ceramic pads on my OBW. I am happy with them. They stop well, and no squeal. Price is good too.

It is very easy to change pads on a Subie. Previous responder layed out good directions on how to change the pads.

If you need to remove the rotor for resurfacing or replacement, there are two holes near the center. Just screw in bolts in the holes, which will force the rotor off the hub. It is great that Subaru designed it this way!

I would advise to also lube the slide pins once you have them nearly open.

I did that today and the lower ones on both sides where nearly stuck. It took me 1 hour to get one out.

Unfortunately you can not use coppergrease in here. I got ceramic high temp grease for that.

in my experience subaru's seem to have forgiving brakes and perform well with just about anything. i've seen cheaper pads perform poorly on other makes, but not really subaru's. not that they're "great" pads, or won't wear quickly, but nothing that big of a deal. i prefer ceramics and have used a few different varieties. there's a zillion different brake options. the adaptive ones from NAPA have new clips in them, i like that but they are expensive.

clean the brake pad clips really well (or buy nicer pads that have new clips). and clean and grease the caliper slides. they sell brake caliper grease at the auto parts store. i would just buy the bottle of it as the packs are hardly adequate half the time.

subaru brakes are easy, nothing special to it really:

1. remove wheel.

2. caliper takes 1 or 2 bolts (depending what style you have) to remove.

3. clean slides, regrease them. clean all the metal caliper bracket clips

4. press in caliper piston with a c-clamp (remove the brake fluid reservoir for this step - might be pointless for subaru's but a good practice to have as the fluid needs to go somewhere and if it's a sealed system the master cylinder seals can fail).

install pads, caliper, and you're done.

occasionally the brake pads are manufactured too big (regardless of what brand you buy) and need to be filed down. there are threads about that but it's fairly straight forward.

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice. I once owned a 90 Loyale turbo sedan and If memory serves, I had to "screw" the brake pistons back into the caliper which may require a special tool that I seemed to have lost.

If all I need is a C clamp to re-seat the piston then the next step is to go to Subaru to see if they will come close to matching the aftermarket price.

It worked when I purchase my VC gasket set and spark plug wires.

I don't want to mess with the rotors as braking is smooth under all conditions, although they do show a "ridge", probably from 202K worth of use.

Grossgary, on step #4, did you mean remove the actual brake cyl. reservoir

or just the cap? If you remove the cap, and get wifes turkey baster to suck up excess brake fluid as piston pushes in? I did that on my jeep and it worked pretty well until the wife found out. I won't say how she found out though.

Mike

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice. I once owned a 90 Loyale turbo sedan and If memory serves, I had to "screw" the brake pistons back into the caliper which may require a special tool that I seemed to have lost.

If all I need is a C clamp to re-seat the piston then the next step is to go to Subaru to see if they will come close to matching the aftermarket price.

It worked when I purchase my VC gasket set and spark plug wires.

I don't want to mess with the rotors as braking is smooth under all conditions, although they do show a "ridge", probably from 202K worth of use.

Grossgary, on step #4, did you mean remove the actual brake cyl. reservoir

or just the cap? If you remove the cap, and get wifes turkey baster to suck up excess brake fluid as piston pushes in? I did that on my jeep and it worked pretty well until the wife found out. I won't say how she found out though.

Mike

Subaru will rape you on pads. Napa, Autozone, Advance Auto, all sufficient for a Turbo Legacy.

You need not suck up the extra fluid. Just remove the cap and watch to make sure it doesn't overflow. If it does, you have too much in there anyway.