Ultimate Subaru Message Board

If it is a power antenna, use some silicon spray on the mast. Wipe off any dirt or crud first if you think it is causing any binding. If the mast is bent, then prolly the entire antenna needs to be replaced.

Over the years, I have not had any long term success with a power antenna. Seems like they either bind up, or get bent and won't retract, or go up as is suppose to happen. I replace with a non power antenna. I unscrew to remove the mast before entering a car wash.

Ok it is a power antenna but i haven't used it in years. But my old radio in it activated it and it would rarely deploy. When i installed the cd player a long time ago i couldn't get the antenna cord to reach the back of the cd player, but i was just wondering how to access it. It's in the back driver-side, and there is no screws really. Maybe through the trunk? or.....?

Ok it is a power antenna but i haven't used it in years. But my old radio in it activated it and it would rarely deploy. When i installed the cd player a long time ago i couldn't get the antenna cord to reach the back of the cd player, but i was just wondering how to access it. It's in the back driver-side, and there is no screws really. Maybe through the trunk? or.....?

I haven't worked on a Subie power antenna, but they are all work the same. You will need to pull loose the trunk liner out or loose in the trunk below the antenna. Once exposed, you will be able to see the power motor unit with electrical power wires attached to it, as well as the shielded co-ax cable that carries the signal to the radio. The coax connector will unscrew, and the power wires will disconnect for removal. There will prolly be a bracket that holds the power antenna in place, remove that if you want to remove the antenna.

First, unscrew the chrome nut(ring) an top of the black plastic gasket on the outside fender where the antenna exits. You then have to pull out the rear side panel in the cargo area to access the power antenna. It comes out after moving the floor carpet out of the way, and pulling up the floor left side panel behind the rear wheel. There are screws to undo as well as 10 mm nuts to get that side panel out.

Now you'll see the power antenna inside the fender. Undo the rubber drain hose from the bottom of the antenna assembly and just leave it in the bottom of the fender. Don't pull it out.

Disconnect the electrical plug to the antenna and the antenna wire that goes to the front of the car. Undo the 10 mm bolt that holds the antenna to its bracket, and remove the entire assembly from the car.

Now you can either replace the entire assembly with a new one, or take apart the old one, clean and lube it up (not hard to do if you have some mechanical aptitude and can visualize how it must come apart and go back together), or replace the mast and geared whip assembly and reinstall.

Just remember to test the unit out by reinstalling the electrical connections with the unit laying inside the trunk, but with the antenna mast aimed out the opening. Retract the mast assembly and reinstall back into the car in reverse. Good Luck!