Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1980 Subaru 4wd wagon front axle: is it a 23 or a 25-spline?

I am making preparations to change out the front axles on my 1980 4wd GL 1600 wagon next week while I'm off work. I'm making calls to my local NAPA dealer to order axles. They can only obtain new axles from Cardone that are 23-spline (list for 79.95 each, new, not remanufactured). Does anybody know if my Subaru would have a 23 or a 25-spline axles?

The girl at the sales counter says "it (I assume the computer catalog) only says front wheel drive...it doesn't say anything about a four wheel drive"...so she called the Manufacturer who reportedly told her that I needed to count the splines to see if it would fit. They reportedly said it was a 23-spline and that they no longer carried a 25-spline in a new axle. So I wonder if there is a possibility that there exists a 23-spline axle that only fits a later model front-wheel drive car (?)

Try partsgeek.com, they have a very detailed website that has very specific lists of what axles fit which cars. They also carry EMPI axles which I've found to be highly recommended amoung members of this site. I was new to Subarus when I ordered mine and was concerned about getting the right one, but their website was very clear and I ended up with what I needed.

I would check into Empi Axles, usually a performance vw parts house or import parts outfit can order them for you, high 60's in price. Im a little leary of Cardone wether they are new or not, i have had alot of problems with the quality of their rebuilt products, just my experience, but I wouldnt install a cardone product even if it was free.

I've found that parts places have a very difficult time getting the right axles for subarus -- especially '85 to '89, because both EA81's and EA82's were produced at that time, and they catalog them both as 1800cc engines. yeah... but... and they have no idea what an EA81 or EA82 is. I've started getting them from the dealer even though they are about $120 each there, just to avoid the hassle of making a simple axle replacement into a 2 or 3 day job to finally get the right one.... for some reason, everyone wants to give you 25 spline ones for EA82's the first time.