Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Was just wondering what the trend in quality winter tires was these days? It's been about 4 years since I last purchased winter tires so I'm about due for a new set for my '98 Legacy.

I'm in the Canadian east (Nova Scotia) so we can get a lot of wet, slushy, heavy snow. The ones I currently have are Nokian hakkapeliitta's.

UC

I'm partial to Hankook Ipike tires. We had an ice storm here in Colorado last fall everyone here didn't drive or if they did they slid all over. I had a set of worn down Hankooks and I didn't have any problems. I have since put on a new set and I got them studded. I'm kinda looking forward to some bad weather to test them out.

Bret

The Hakkkaa-however-they're-spelled are some of the best on the market for performance snow tires. But I hear great stuff about Blizzaks, Pilot Aplins, Nokian, Continental. They're all pretty good, just depends on how deep your pockets are. :lol:

I always just go with the cheapies and they have always worked well enough for me. Usually Firestone Winterforce. Got some Pacemark Snowtrakkers that I'm going to pop on the Legacy for this winter, even though it doesn't really need snow tires. It got around great in 18"+ snow last year on almost bald el-cheapo all seasons.

Yeah, I've been very happy with the hakkas I've had and will take a look for them to see if anyone in my area carries them. They're not the easiest tires to find in my area.

I think the people who are able to drive all year on all seasons are pretty lucky. I find the difference between a set of all seasons and a dedicated winter tires to be like night and day. I tried to drive on hard packed snow on a set of Toyo all seasons and felt like I was going to slide off the road. Put a pair of winters on and there's no problem. I don't find there's any comparison between cheap tires and good quality ones either. I'll go for quality in my tires every time.

UC

I really like the Hankook Ipike and the General Altimax Arctic, I have owned both of them and like them much better than the hakkas (I have seen a lot with broken belts) both seem to have great traction on ice and snow! (of course owning a Subaru helps :) )

I really like the Hankook Ipike and the General Altimax Arctic, I have owned both of them and like them much better than the Hakka's (I have seen a lot with broken belts) both seem to have great traction on ice and snow! (of course owning a Subaru helps :) )

I 2nd the motion on Hakkas, over priced, they ware excellent and have outstanding traction in snow, but after about 2 seasons the belts start to break.

Go with the General Altimax Arctic, these are made in Germany using the Swedish Gislaved tire mold. they are sensibly priced and can be studded and ware excellent.

I always just go with the cheapies and they have always worked well enough for me. Usually Firestone Winterforce.

I'll go you one better. And by better I mean cheaper! Tire Rack sells non branded Firestone Winterforces... it's the exact same tire, just doesn't say Firestone on the sidewall and costs less. They don't appear to be "seconds" either.

My front drive Accord on the "Winterforces" does better than my wife's OBW on all seasons, with the exception of deep snow- it can get high centered sooner than the OBW. The Winterforces are noisy and the high speed handling is pretty meh, but I said the same thing about the Blizzak WS-50s I had for my old car. For suburban commuting, they are a godsend. Had 5 cars bouncing off of curbs in front of me on a slippery road... lady spun 90 deg and was watching me closing in on her. I was able to stop no problem.

I also watched an Audi A4 quattro lose it on an entrance ramp and slide down an embankment... I went through the turn at the same speed as the Audi with no loss of control. Winter tires, I can't say enough for them. Worth every penny.

I'll go you one better. And by better I mean cheaper! Tire Rack sells non branded Firestone Winterforces... it's the exact same tire, just doesn't say Firestone on the sidewall and costs less. They don't appear to be "seconds" either.

I've not seen these. Got a link?

ut oh on borken belts, as i juuuust ordered a set of hakka4 on a ebay deal for new ones, set of 205/60/15 for my turbo 94 legacy, got the set of four for 196, then shipping is 49. i hate broken belts... hope this is not true for my set. now i need 15" rims lol i have no 15" rim.

I really like the Hankook Ipike and the General Altimax Arctic, I have owned both of them and like them much better than the hakkas (I have seen a lot with broken belts) both seem to have great traction on ice and snow! (of course owning a Subaru helps :) )

Our German friends posted a new test

for larger 215 tires:

http://www.adac.de/infotestrat/tests/reifen/winterreifen/2010_Winterreifen_Test_225_45_R17.aspx?ComponentId=40334&SourcePageId=31821

And somewhat smaller:

http://www.adac.de/infotestrat/tests/reifen/winterreifen/2010_Winterreifen_Test_185_65_R15.aspx?ComponentId=40327&SourcePageId=31821

Keep in mind that a 0.1 in germany is best and 5 is worst!!

Only have no idea if you can get those in US and Canada

Other translations:

ADAC-Urteil = Auto and driver association rank

Trocken = dry asphalt surface

Nass = Whet asphalt surface

Schnee = snow on asphalt

Eis = iced road on asphalt

Gerausch/komfort = tire noise and comfort

Krafstofverbrauch = fuel consumtion

Verschleiss = wear 0.1 is slow, 5 is fast

Edited by rverdoold

I've not seen these. Got a link?

Very odd. I can't find them on Tire Rack's website anymore. I also can't find my receipt for them. I think I bought mine last winter. What a drag! They were something like $5/$10 cheaper each than the Firestone Winterforces. Sorry for the false lead. It may have been a limited time offer or people were suspicious of non branded tires and didn't buy them?

Nathan

PS: I looked at the actual tires to jog my memory. They're branded "Winterforce" with no mention of Firestone.

I bought studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5s for my OBW two seasons ago. I've driven on several sets of all-seasons, iPike 409s, other Hankook tires, and some Kumhos. The Nokians have been, BY FAR, the best winter tire I've ever driven on. The square studs, siping, and other features make it the ultimate ice/snow rubber. They're VERY expensive, though.

(Next year I'm gonna get those new Hakkapeliitta 7s with the hex studs)

The iPike 409s are also EXCELLENT. They're by far the best you can get at most shops.

I bought studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5s for my OBW two seasons ago. I've driven on several sets of all-seasons, iPike 409s, other Hankook tires, and some Kumhos. The Nokians have been, BY FAR, the best winter tire I've ever driven on. The square studs, siping, and other features make it the ultimate ice/snow rubber. They're VERY expensive, though.

(Next year I'm gonna get those new Hakkapeliitta 7s with the hex studs)

The iPike 409s are also EXCELLENT. They're by far the best you can get at most shops.

You read my mind!

The Nokian brand is notoriously hard to find around here. The only ones I've been able to find the Hakkapeliitta 5s. I think from what the dealer said they can come studded and none studded.

What are the advantages / disadvantages of studs on tires?

I drive about 100km each day with a good chunk being highway driving. Are studded tires overly loud? How do they handle and wear over time?

Most of what you will hear regarding winter tires is anecdotal (including the opinions I stated). I think the tech specs on the Hakkas speak for themselves, though.

Hakka 5

http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=11890&group=1.01&name=Nokian%20Hakkapeliitta

In my opinion, the hierarchy of winter tire awesomeness looks like this

(based on availability here, in northwest USA. I don't know what you can get in eastern Canada):

- Hakka 7 (when it hits the shelves in 2011)

- Hakka 5

- Hakka 4 (the Hakka 4 just barely edges out the 'kooks, in my opinion, because of the directional square studs.)

- Hankook 409 (very similar directional tread pattern as the Hakkapeliitta 4/5, but not quite as many fanciful features)