Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I currently drive a Very Tired (Read Used & Abused!) 1996 Outback EJ22/5-Spd with 175K Ohio/Michigan/Indiana miles on it. I was going to do an Engine Swap on it, but thought I would get another "Driver" in the mean time, as I have several projects on-going, and I probably won't get this finished in a weekend or 2. So on Cragslist I see this ad:

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/2006832319.html

Subaru Legacy Outback - Cheap & Reliable AWD - $2475

Look around - this is not only the cheapest First-Gen Outback on Craigslist, it's also the best deal due to all the recent service.

Car comes from a family that has had 6 Subaru's over the years, so you know it has been treated right.

One owner car!

Some minor cosmetic issue, but a safe and practical car to use every day.

Award winning All-Wheel-Drive system - get ready for winter, and don't get stuck in a ditch with no way to get out -

This very car has been used to pull countless Pickup trucks out of the ditch along country roads over the years.

All service by Subaru dealer, including synthetic oil changes since new.

4 new brake rotors, pads, and parking brake shoes installed just last week!

New set of Michelin Harmony all-season tires, less than 2000 miles ago

Strong auto trans, replaced less than 20,000 miles ago

Engine got new and improved head gaskets and cam seals.

Car runs very well, has factory hitch and tow package. Also has factory keyless entry and alarm.

Green.

Okay, I call the guy, we talk, and I go look at it. I look at the odometer, and Whoa! 318,xxx Miles!!! But the car is Very Clean, corrision free, and still runs "Liveley!" It has been serviced at the dealership since day 1, and has the following work done:

New Short Block at 105,000 Miles

New Tranny at 295,000 Miles

New Shocks Struts (From an Impreza) at 240,000

New Brakes (Rotors, Pads, etc...)

New tires

New belts and seals

I had another car to look at this weekend which is 2 years newer, and has only 165K miles on it with an asking price of $2200. But it's 100 miles away, and probably not as nice as this Well Loved Outback. After a test drive I ask how firm the price is. He said "Very Negotiable!" I had $2000 in my pocket, but thought I would test the waters with a $1500 offer. SOLD! (DAMN! Shoulda Started at $1250! < jk Eric! >)

The car was ALWAYS garaged and well maintained, and it shows. The interior is in Great Shape, and original spare, jack, tool kit are still in the "Hole", and the owners manual is in the glove box. The paint UNDER the car even looks good! She sits like a standard Legacy with the Impreza shocks, and the headlight lenses are Yellowed. There is a Dent in the Drivers Fender too. But all in all, this is a Sweet Car! Engine does feel a little less Peppy than a newer Subie, but this beast will be taking me 8 miles to work, and my 2 Big Fat Dogs to the Park with the occaissional 700 mile round trip from Indy to Detroit. I'm shooting for 500K miles from this 2 owner car!

I pick it up 1st week of November, and I will post Mucho Pictures at that time.

Edited by MADD1

• 2 weeks later...