Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Outback models to buy/avoid from 2005-2009???

I am in search of a new (to me) car. I am looking at Outbacks from 2005-2009 and I was wondering if there are years/models that I should avoid or try to find. If anyone can help with this information, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

I recently read something about the 09's 2.5 between June and July they did a recall due to the use of silver in the rod bearings cause catastrophic failure. But if its a recall then don't fret, between 05-09 they are good cars, check the recall list on the national HWY site, at least I think that's it....:confused::confused::confused:

2005 and 2006 had wheel bearing problems-that is recalled, and also headlight bulbs that only last about 8 months and continually bun out, that issue has no fix. Also, the headlight cutoff is TERRIBLE when they do work.

also, look up heater hvac issues and lack of useable heat flow.

there are also ghostwalk issues related to the 2005-2007 its a design issue, as well as alignement issues.

also, paint issues of chipping

and they have headgasket leaks too.

2005 and 2006 had wheel bearing problems-that is recalled, and also headlight bulbs that only last about 8 months and continually bun out, that issue has no fix. Also, the headlight cutoff is TERRIBLE when they do work.

there are also ghostwalk issues related to the 2005-2007 its a design issue, as well as alignement issues.

I knew about the ghostwalking, but the 2007 outbacks we had as company cars seemed pretty nice to me, in general. A bit sluggish compared to older ones due to the automatic transmissions.... I actually liked the headlight cutoff on them... very sharp cutoff with the low beams, but good brightness and side to side spread... I hate low beams that are just dimmer versions of high beams... I thought the heat was adequate, but I'm used to vehicles that don't have adequate heat... so it was better than most of them :)

I would avoid all of the sedans, and imprezas from 2008+, due to the hideous styling, but that's just me :-p

i'd consider looking up more info on some of the other suggestions, they're either new to me or off a little.

i wouldn't be too concerned with the headgaskets on 2005-2009's, i'm aware of an example or two but are there any ongoing discussions and info about trends? if there are it has nothing to do with the 6 cylinder.

I'd lean towards a 6 cylinder.

Ghostwalking is a 2009 only issue...maybe some 2008 bleed overs, but pretty sure it's all 2009's. i would check if they ever resolved it, on that year due to the prevalence of that issue. Subaru requiring the road force balance was funny, like that's going to fix it and who wants to pay/do that every time? check out the massive thread on subaruoutback.org about it. that will tell you if they've resolved it as well or how to tell if one has it or not.

Edited by grossgary

• 1 month later...

I have an '06

Wheel Bearing and Head Gasket oil leak problems are true. I have both.

My Soob is still under warranty (6yr-100k miles) Trying to get the dealership to fix the problem(s) is like pulling teeth. They're trying to tell me it's tire noise, not bearings (BULL************!, I know what I hear.)

My car used to fly down the highway so quite. . . If it's tire noise, I must be riding on Micky Thomson Mudders because that's what it sounds like(loudest @20, 40 and 80 mph).

. . . and . . .

The oil leak. They tried to tell me it was just a loose oil filter.(more BULL************) Sorry guys I own a creeper and can see for myself where the leak is coming from.

The Shady Dealership I'm referring to is:

Somerset Subaru

in Somerset, MA

once known as Metro Subaru (much better then)

Guess I'm just have to go to another dealer.

If it wasn't for the warranty I'd go elsewhere or take care of it myself, but. . . . :-\

Regarding the headlight cutoff on the one you previously owned:

I set the adjustment on the headlights to factory aim points and my parents seem to think the car has the best headlights of any car they have ever owned. Brighter than all their previous Toyota's, Fords, and their current F250 truck which has amazing lights.

I firmly believe the ghost walking has everything to do with tire selection. The ones they rolled out of the factory with both Dunlop and Bridgestone are all complete junk. Running a true snow tire in the winter and an all season the rest of the year virtually eliminates this problem.

Headgaskets....well thats nothing new and I don't see it going away any time soon. For any Subaru with a 2.5L engine plan on doing them every 100K miles. I would even plan my 30, 60, and 90 K services around this. In other words skip the coolant service, fuel filter replacement if your model has one, etc until the engine is being removed for the HG job.

The wheel bearings are very easy to replace. They simply bolt into the back side of the hub. They make what was a 3 hour job into a 45 minute job. They are only "covered" until 100K miles. There is a shim they are using to clean the area between the hub and the bearing sort of area that does seem to quiet them down as well. These bearings are pretty robust they just get noisy for some reason from all the grit and grime. I would predict a car that never sees or rarely sees a gravel road would possibly never need them replaced.