Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Not able to go up a hill!

My 1987 EA82 GL lately has not been able to go up a hill. It warms up fine, goes down hills OK, but even at 50 when I start going up a hill the engine spits and sputters and feels like it isn't getting fuel. Sometimes I have had problems with it going over 50, but most of the time it just hills.

I am open to any advise, I'd like to get this resolved before Winter gets here.

Thanks,

David

sounds like you need a good tune up.

check fuel filters,

plugs,

air,

even for small vacuum leaks.

Should have let you all know what condition the engine is in. I maintain it really well, it's got new plugs, wires, distributor cap & rotor, and I have checked all of the vacuum lines as best as possible.

I have also thought about the exhaust system. When it's cold I warm the engine up, and when it idling up it never really seemed like much was exiting the exhaust tailpipe compared to how fast the engine was revving.

How can I tell if that could be the case?

Thanks,

David

I Faced that Problem on a Friend's EA82 Subie... and I Fixed it!: in that case, it had a Clogged Filter inside the "Y" Pipe, it is just inside the Point where the Two Pipes Connects to become one pipe Out...

I Kindly Suggest you to Check for Clogged "Y" Pipe / Cathalytic Converter Filters.

Good Luck!

Kind Regards.