Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The MurderWagon is getting a new heart (EG33 > 2000 Outback)

thatswhatshesaid

Here she is. The MurderWagon. We've been through a lot together. She's really been good to me.

27019_381573579603_592694603_3615084_738401_n.jpg

Unfortunately, due to some user error, she had some pretty catastrophic issues with the old 2.5 mill.

..which brings us to now. Here's her new heart:

69074_451056514603_592694603_5125154_2329412_n.jpg

It came from a wrecked car with 92k miles. I've never seen any documentation of the EG33 into a 3rd-Gen Legacy before, so...I'm not sure how it will go. I'll post pics along the way. Any advice/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I'm keeping the 4.44 auto tranny in my car until it blows. As far as I know, it should pretty much bolt up.

I'll need to have the engine harnesses merged (obviously).

I'm sure there will be length-related clearance issues...radiator, fans, etc. Due to the lack of documentation of this exact swap, I'll have to cross that bridge when I get to it.

The tear-down of the OBW engine bay will begin soon. for now, I need to get out there and pull my new EG off the truck! :)

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm reasonably new to this. Thanks, guys!

Wow, sweet project. Document as much as you can to help future subie heads down the road.

What is the overall goal of the project? Are you just swapping in a bigger engine and then calling it good or ?

I'll document as much as I can! :) I love what the community has done for me, so I want to give back as much as possible!

The goal? Well, phase 1 is just to have the first EG-powered BH Legacy I've ever seen. The EJ25 was a turd. The extra 65 or so lb-ft of torque will help push a little more snow out of the way. ;)

Once it's on the road and moving, I'm planning to lift it and use larger tires. I'm researching those options right now (thanks for your input, Gloyale).

What year is the eg33? Is it ODBI or ODBII? If it's ODB I, then all the TCU will get is the RPM signal from the ECU. But since your trans is a phase II it will have a phase II TCU, so the TCU will be looking for more inputs that it probably won't get. So if you could find a phase I TCU that has 4.44 gearing, that should just plug right up and work just fine, since it will only be looking for the RPM signal to work properly. But I don't know if they even made a phase I 4.44 4EAT, and I don't think there is really any difference mechanically between the phase 1 and the phase II 4EAT beside some upgrades to it for reliability and to handle the added power better, but I believe a phase I TCU should run a phase II trans no problem. But a phase II TCU trying to run with a pre ODBII ECU might not work so well, but I really don't know on that. You would have to look up the differences between the phase I and the phase II 4EAT's and see what sensors were added. Once you figure that out, grab a FSM and look at the diagnostic section for the 4EAT and see what will happen if the TCU does not see the added sensors for the phase II 4EAT. You might be able to fool the TCU with some resistors or something to simulate the sensor so you don't throw a code on the TCU. But I would have to research that a ton before going down that route...

Or you could just mod a phase I TCU with the proper final drive ratio (4.44) needed and to calculate the added 2 cylinders for the RPM signal and then you wouldn't have to worry about it :D Maybe add paddle shifters and a DCCD knob too? :D Just an idea... It would be freakin' sweet to have paddle shifters behind a eg33 :slobber:

This sounds like a cool project man! I will help with the trans stuff where I can since I do know a little bit about the phase 1 4EAT TCU, but not a lot about the phase II. But I will do what I can!

What year is the eg33? Is it ODBI or ODBII?

Or you could just mod a phase I TCU with the proper final drive ratio (4.44) needed and to calculate the added 2 cylinders for the RPM signal and then you wouldn't have to worry about it :D Maybe add paddle shifters and a DCCD knob too? :D Just an idea... It would be freakin' sweet to have paddle shifters behind a eg33 :slobber:

This sounds like a cool project man! I will help with the trans stuff where I can since I do know a little bit about the phase 1 4EAT TCU, but not a lot about the phase II. But I will do what I can!

The motor is a '92 (OBDI)

How would I mod the TCU to accommodate 4.44 and 6 cylinders? Could you share the secrets? ;)

I love the idea of the DCCD knob and paddles like in your EA82!

Thanks a ton for your willingness to help! It's kind, wise men like you that make us n00bs stick around!

Nice project!

See if you can source a set of wiring diagrams for your car, then you can figure out what signals the transmission ECU is looking for from the engine ECU. If the transmission ECU is only 'asking' for rpm, throttle etc then it won't be a problem matching the OBD1 engine ECU to an OBD2 transmission ECU.

On another note: the SVX also has a 4-speed slushbox, why not use the SVX transmission ECU aswell? After all, you have the wiring...

Keep us posted!

On another note: the SVX also has a 4-speed slushbox, why not use the SVX transmission ECU aswell? After all, you have the wiring...

Different Phase Trans. Also vastly different gear ratios (3.54 vs. 4.44)

Phase I TCU won't run the Phase II trans in his car. And if it could, the shift points would be WAY goofy for the 4.44 trans.

Now, about the TPS, that will be the biggest issue mating the EG33 ECU to the TCU. The EG, and Early EJ TPS outputs in a different range than the Phase II EJs.

You may need a resistor or two to alter the TPS output to the correct range. Unfortunately, I am not the one to calculate. But find info on the range of outputs of both TPS(s) and post and perhaps one of our Electro-tech savvy members could do the math.

Zoinks, Scooby! I'm finding more and more messed up stuff on the EG as I dig into it. But whatever. I'm getting the motor in this car!!! (this is going to cost a fortune... :dead: )

HOWEVER, I'm going to keep a positive attitude, because...someday...I'M GONNA HAVE A FREAKING EG33-POWERED OUTBACK.

:banana:

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

and... one more just for shiggles. :banana:

Heck, even a :burnout: too.

You might want to look into finding a wiring harness from an H-6 outback. Hopefully someone will correct me if i'm wrong, if the EZ30D/R/whatever is maf based then awesome. If you can run an EJ25 off an EJ18 ecu and injectors and fuel maps you can run an EG33 off an EZ30 ecu as well. At least I would think so. If its map based I don;t think it will work, since the fuel and timing tables would be calibrated for a 3.0 liter motor, not a 3.3 liter motor.

You will obviously need to make sure that the EZ30 ecu is hooked up to your TCU. IIRC there are something like 13 wires that need to be hooked up between the ECU and the TCU.

Other than that, you could go standalone EM. IIRC, the hydra can operate 6 cylinders.

These are the things that came to mind if I were in your shoes.:popcorn:

~Josh~

The transmission is broken in the wrecked SVX (as in, the case is busted almost in half from the accident). Plus, I have 4.44 in my Outback! :banana:

as far as i concerned all those 4eat to the svx were busted status from the factory, mine never made it past 40k and none of the other of 92 made it much further....why would anyone recommend him to use a original trans-they are garbagex10xea82x ej25

worst setup for a subaru EVER was the eg33 torque monster witha 4eat.

subaru was way wrong.... back then

needs a 6mt from sti and then good forever. that motor is non-interference, good for many million miles (helicopter/airplane/etc) and it is a torque monster, N/A, yeah turbo guys have to have psi to beat this sucker.

love mine, 7.5 qt oil change is a bit much, but oh well.

• 2 weeks later...

Bad news, kids...

The H-6 swap is getting benched until the snow melts. My other car is a 240SX, and I simply cannot do without my Outback any longer...

I'm throwing another 2.5 in it for now...

The EG is still going to happen, but I need to have 4WD/winter tires for now. I can't really dedicate much time to the car right now.

Since you have a few months to source parts, you might want to source a 4.44 phaseI tranny. Some outbacks, and ALL LSI Legos had the 4.44. I'm sure there are more donors though. Short of that, you may need to source an OBDII harness for your EG33. Those are available in '95-up SVX's.

I agree that most EG33 swaps are manuals. That said, when the 4eat dies in an SVX, any phaseI can bolt in, and talk to the stock TCU.

I'm not 100% if the phaseII will be compatible with the OBDI EG33. The phaseI with an SVX TCU is your best bet, for simplicity's sake.

Best of luck with EG33 goodness in your outback.