Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Complete removal of the hill holder?

Is it possible to remove the hill holder and all of its lines and just have a regular simple braking system? I have a strictly offroad 1990 loyale wagon and the hill holder has never worked and I don't really have a use for it. I thought while I was replacing the master cylinder I would plug off the outlet on the master cylinder and delete the whole system. Is that even possible? Any help or links would be appreciated!

install the MC and don't hook up the hill holder bits and remove what seems reasonable to remove. should be obvious what you can do while you're doing it, not much to the system.

a master cylinder from an automatic should not have any hill holder bits on it and would do what you want.

But do the lines coming off of the hillholder and running to the brakes have pressure in them?

YES

You will basically have to replumb one ciruit of the brake lines in the front of the car. (front left and rear right)

good news is that there ar convienient connectors in the engine bay for the Rear lines, one on each side up against the firewall. Run a new line from the MC outlet that went to the HH, and instead run it into a "T" connection. from there run it to the connector at the rear of engine bay for the passenger side rear. Run the other side of the "T" to the connection with the rubber line at the Drivers side wheel.

Front right, and Drivers rear should be unaffected.

You are going to have to *make* new lines to delete it vs. going to the junk yard and buying the line you rounded off to replace your's with. Or you could just use vice-grips on it from now on and call it good :rolleyes:. Still less work than eliminating it. But if you really want it gone then you might be able to find some lines from an automatic that can just be pulled and installed into your car. I would have to look to see if that's possible or feasible.

GD

If you are replacing the line, and removing the HH, then just cut the line right at the nut, and use a 6 point socket to remove it. Hammer it on if you have to.

I wouldn't bother with JY stuff.

Just buy a few sections of bend to fit line with metric connections, and a matching "T" fitting.

Should be less than 25 bucks for 2 lines (guessing 1 about 2 feet, and 1 about 4 feet) and a "T"