Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Did I see somewhere that you shouldn't remove both front axles at the same time?

I am planning to replace both front axles (and all front axle bearings and seals) on my 1980 4wd GL wagon and I am awaiting shipment of all the parts tomorrow. I am off work today and tomorrow and I would like to get a head start on the job, hopefully to complete it in two days (today to tear down, tomorrow to rebuild). It seems I heard something somewhere about a possible problem that could result from taking both axles off at the same time but I can't seem to find it while searching this forum (did I dream this?)

Some newer front wheel drive cars you can't take out both sides at once because the spiders there pin will fall out.

Doesn't apply to any subaru I know of. Espescially older ones with Male stubs. Axles just slide onto the stubs, so nothing inside is disturbed.

But on Honda Civics and Accords, Nissan Altima, and slews of others it is nessecary to either do one at a time, or use a wooden dowel rod inserted through the first axle "hole" to support the spiders while the other side is removed.